none
Windows Server Manager not showing

Question

• Hello,

i have install a fresh vm with Windows Server 2019 Std.  with iso.

the server manager will not starting, in the tasklist  the process is running with high cpu over 30 min.

is this a bug ?

what can is do ?

kind regards

henrik    

Friday, November 23, 2018 10:17 AM

All replies

• Hi Henrik,

which process is running with high CPU utilization?

Have you tried restarting the server in the safe mode to examine logs?

hth
    Marcin

Friday, November 23, 2018 12:01 PM
  •  the servermanager.exe run with high cpu

Restart multiple times , clean boot not helping, in Windows 10 1809 same Problem by my Client
    both  System running in  german language

i will test now with language pack
    Friday, November 23, 2018 12:07 PM
  • Hello, I've been hunting for anyone with this same problem since the original RTM of Server 2019 in October and haven't been able to find anything about it.  Until now!

I've done a bit of troubleshooting and can detail my results a little bit as well.  

WHAT I SEE AS THE PROBLEM

When launching Server Manager, the servermanager.exe will take high CPU on a 2x core VM, one process will take 50%. On a 4x core VM, it will take 25%.  Attempting to launch it again will continue to stack CPU usage.

WHERE PROBLEM OCCURS

These are en-us builds.

Server 2019 (OS Build 17763.134), Windows 10 1809 for Business (OS Build 17763.134) wit features install of RSAT, Windows 10 1803 for Business (OS Build 17134.286) 

HOW IT PRESENTED IN MY ENVIRONMENT

For me, I believe it may be something in my group policies that's causing it.  Since when i built the gold image prior to templatizing and joining to the domain, the ServerManager.exe was running and I used it to install roles/features. 

That being said, i have a *large* number of group policy modifications occuring in my domain, so i would need assistance translating what could potentially cause this new server manager in 2019/1809 to not function.

An important note regarding this issue is that Server 2016 VMs with servermanager.exe 10.0.14393.2608 are fine.

However, Windows 10 1803 with rsat and servermanager.exe 10.0.17132.1 also exhibits high cpu and never runs.

WHAT IVE DONE

sfc /scannow

NDP472-KB4054530-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe /repair

.Net repair tool

.Net verification tool

ANTIVIRUS

Symantec Endpoint Protection (version 14.2 build 1015, 14.2.1015.0100) (However, this gets installed when the image is not joined to the domain and Server Manager still works, so i doubt it is this)

ENVIRONMENT

Physical and virtual systems, Virtualization is on VMware vSphere 6.7 Update 1/ESXi 6.7 Update 1. For VMs, the SID reset and other customzations are done via VMware's OS Customization.

---------------

If anyone has any guidance, i'm sure that we are not alone in this.

• Edited by nmorgowicz Saturday, November 24, 2018 11:51 AM added vmware/physical system note
    Saturday, November 24, 2018 11:49 AM
  • One other thing to note in my experience with this issue is that from any of my Server 2016 machines (physical/virtual), since Server Manager works, i am able to add any of my Server 2019 machines into the Server 2016 Server Manager, and i can see the unique Server 2019 roles/features.

So this leads me to believe that the underlying frameworks are okay, and it's something to do with how it's trying to execute on the local machine.

Saturday, November 24, 2018 12:15 PM
  • I have exactly the same issue with the Server 2019 build, my golden image opens server manager with no issue, then provisioning on a different workgroup for testing it doesn't open the front end but uses resources as you have explained above. So odd. 2016 no issues.

When I provision to the domain it also doesn't open server manager, if I then drop the clone from the domain it opens server manager correctly. I have gone over the local gp that I have set and its in accordance with CIS guide lines, nothing to hint at stopping Server Manager opening.

Monday, November 26, 2018 7:55 AM
  • I've done a small procmon analysis between a working server 2016 domain joined machine when launching servermanager.exe and a non-launching RSAT 1809 Windows 10.

Basically, the amount of events that servermanager.exe and a child process spawn on a non-working Server2019/1809 is 66 in about 1 second when it ceases all attempts at doing anything.

While on a working load, it's 21,438 events in just under 10 seconds, when i closed the logging.

Attached pic shows the left procmon is non functional on 1809, while right one shows matching step and working logs from 2016.

Left procmon is non functional on 1809, while right one shows matching step and working logs from 2016

Monday, November 26, 2018 10:13 AM
  • *addendum 11/25/2018*

I went through a Symantec Endpoint Proection client upgrade for all client and server images, to 14.2.1031.0100, and this made no impact to functionality.
    Monday, November 26, 2018 10:15 AM
  • Please update the thread if you do any other investigations. The more we post, hopefully the higher chance someone will notice.
    Monday, November 26, 2018 10:18 AM
  • I had the same issue, but SEP 14.2 MP1 was to blame. Removal fixed.

I was using all features of SEP except the firewall.

Only spent a few minutes on this so far.

Good Luck!

Thursday, November 29, 2018 10:09 PM
  • Remove SEP and everything ok!

Problem with SEP! even reinstall client the problem still...

Waiting for Symantec fix...

• Proposed as answer by Pitum Friday, November 30, 2018 6:03 PM
    • Edited by Pitum Wednesday, December 5, 2018 5:10 PM
    Friday, November 30, 2018 5:47 PM
  • Remove SEP and everything ok!

Problem with SEP! even reinstall client the problem still...

Waiting for Symantec fix...

SEP installed and login with local account No problem!!!.... with any Domain Account the process of ServerManager.exe still active on background consuming 50% CPU... for each session account

• Edited by Pitum Wednesday, December 5, 2018 5:11 PM
    Wednesday, December 5, 2018 5:10 PM
  • It seems to be tied to User Account Control as well. Server Manager will work with SEP installed if UAC is off and the EnableLUA key is set to 0. Maybe your group policy is enabling UAC. Hoping for a fix for this soon.
    • Proposed as answer by Pitum Wednesday, December 26, 2018 11:51 AM
    Friday, December 21, 2018 3:54 PM
  • It seems to be tied to User Account Control as well. Server Manager will work with SEP installed if UAC is off and the EnableLUA key is set to 0. Maybe your group policy is enabling UAC. Hoping for a fix for this soon.

But doesn't this defeat the purpose of having a windows10 admin client? I'm pretty sure you need UAC to be able to use the Windows Store and to get/use Windows Store apps, along with it being best practice for security.

I'll give it a test though, and if it does work, maybe I'll put in a group policy in place to disable it on servers.  I don't care about servers being able to use Store things.

Monday, December 24, 2018 10:08 AM
  • Symantec has write a Workaround

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH251121.html

i will test  it totay

Tuesday, January 8, 2019 10:06 AM