none
Server 2008 R2 vs SBS Essentials RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. According what I have read so far SBS essentials shines like an operating system to be configured through guided tools of installation and simple access. My interest it is on comparing it with server 2008 R2 to know what limitations might be found. It is possible to configure the same functions on SBS as on 2008 R2 or to take console control for DCHP, DNS, ACTIVATE DIRECTORY…. Another concern: Growth (considering 25 users limitation), it is possible to install products to SBS essentials such as SQL Server 2008 R2 (Express or Standard) and to use it as a data base for a client/server application? What significant differences should I be aware of to buy one or another? Any side by side comparison chart o these two products?

Regards, José

José
    Friday, November 25, 2011 10:05 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can find some of key comparisons in below URL

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/go/microsoft/server/chart-compare-servers.asp

Thamara. MCTS, MCITP Ent Admin, Specialized in U.C Voice OCS 2007 R2
    Saturday, November 26, 2011 3:32 AM
  • Jose

I am afraid that you compare incomparable. SBS 2008 Essentialsis operating system and applications running in one environment, while Windows 2008 R2 is operating system with roles and features.

If you are on the aquisition decision path then look for SBS 2011. In this case the Premium version will give you another server and you can better ballance the load.

If you have SBS 2008 under your belt and you know that there is an requirement to increase the number of clients, look into upgrade matrix and prices and consider upgrade. Limit 25 for essentials in unbreakable one. Pay attention to license agreement, at least to the basic FAQ.

Regards

Milos

Sunday, November 27, 2011 9:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can find some of key comparisons in below URL

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/go/microsoft/server/chart-compare-servers.asp

Thamara. MCTS, MCITP Ent Admin, Specialized in U.C Voice OCS 2007 R2
    Saturday, November 26, 2011 3:32 AM
  • Jose

I am afraid that you compare incomparable. SBS 2008 Essentialsis operating system and applications running in one environment, while Windows 2008 R2 is operating system with roles and features.

If you are on the aquisition decision path then look for SBS 2011. In this case the Premium version will give you another server and you can better ballance the load.

If you have SBS 2008 under your belt and you know that there is an requirement to increase the number of clients, look into upgrade matrix and prices and consider upgrade. Limit 25 for essentials in unbreakable one. Pay attention to license agreement, at least to the basic FAQ.

Regards

Milos

Sunday, November 27, 2011 9:42 AM