MDT 8443 Network access issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

This is my first posting so any information that I may have omitted that might be useful to the community in trying to assist with my current issue, please let me know and I will try to provide it as best possible.

I have a VM utilizing VMWARE which is in a workgroup and being customized and captured for eventual deployment through SCCM. The OS version of the VM is Windows 10 x64 1606 version. Prior to this, the capture was being done for a 1511 version with MDT 2013 Update 2 and the capture task sequence with MDT was working fine by browsing to the litetouch.vbs and running it which capture the .wim without any problem

Fast forward to the upgrade to MDT 8443 and ADK 1606 and now I am running into an issue doing the exact same thing I would do before but with different results which I think is somehow corrupting my .wim and thus fails to apply correctly in the task sequence. From the workgroup VM I browse to the MDT deployment share by using domain credentials in the format domain\userid which allows me to browse to the share server\deploymentshare and then browse to the scripts folder and run the litetouch.vbs to run the capture task sequence built within MDT. The task sequence launches and it reaches the portion to "process generalize sysprep" and eventually i receive the following error: Windows cannot access \\server\deploymentshare (0x80070035) and although the error is displayed it restarts the VM and after reboot it continues with the task sequence even continuing to capture the .wim file in its entirety.

I have used this .wim in my task sequence but it fails during the apply device drivers package part of the sequence with error code: 0x80004005 which means access denied but I firmly believe this is due to a problem with the .wim. I have tried using a previously captured .wim file from MDT 2013 update 2 and it proceeds without issues. Because of the issue I have given the MDT deploymentshare  (shared & security) everyone - full control permissions and this has not helped with the problem  I also ran into the issue where the capture image is missing from this posting:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e4418f2d-cf0b-4a76-8f2d-8f776d004c24/capture-image-is-missing-from-mdt-8443?forum=mdt to even get to the point to attempt the capture.  

Any suggestions or help that can be provided would be of great assistance. 

Thursday, June 8, 2017 9:33 AM

Answers

• You could try that, but I'd suggest running through Johan's step by step guide as well.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

• Marked as answer by orlandoh Friday, June 30, 2017 2:48 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by orlandoh Friday, June 30, 2017 2:48 PM
    Thursday, June 8, 2017 2:56 PM

All replies

• When you install newer versions of MDT and ADK, be sure to follow the proper procedure of uninstalling the old ADK first. After "upgrading" your deployment share you need to run Update Deployment Share so that new boot images are created. Use those new boot images.

Build a new task sequence for creating your reference image (good practice to do that because sometimes the scripts or templates change). Create a new VM and build a new image. 

Personally I prefer to have a deployment share that is only for creating reference images and will deploy and capture all in one single task sequence. You can add a suspend task sequence task, that way you can make a snapshot/checkpoint and patch your image in the future.

https://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/613/Building-a-Windows-10-v1703-reference-image-using-MDT

Thursday, June 8, 2017 2:24 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion Dan. When I upgraded the ADK I just ran the uninstaller and installed the new version. After that was done I did the in-place upgrade of MDT to 8443, which included updating the shares to generate new boot images. Since then I have had this issue.

Do you suggest I uninstall ADK and MDT and perhaps reinstall it again?

Thursday, June 8, 2017 2:49 PM
  • You could try that, but I'd suggest running through Johan's step by step guide as well.

• Unmarked as answer by orlandoh Friday, June 30, 2017 2:48 PM
    Thursday, June 8, 2017 2:56 PM