Exchange 2007 OWA issue + SBS 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Experts,
    While i am trying to access OWA .Its giving following error.
    Server Error in '/owa' Application.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Runtime Error 
    Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed. 
    Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on the local server machine, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "RemoteOnly". To enable the details to be viewable on remote machines, please set "mode" to "Off".
    <!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->
    <configuration>
        <system.web>
            <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly"/>
        </system.web>
    </configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.
    <configuration>
        <system.web>
            <customErrors mode="On" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
        </system.web>
    </configuration>

I recreated the OWA virtual directory and uninstalled the sharepoint services but the result is same.
    Thanks in advance
    Jenu
    Monday, August 15, 2011 7:53 AM

Answers

• HI Jenu,

By seeing error i would sugest you to recreate OWA cirtual directry in Exchange 2008 SBS server.

How To: Recreate OWA Virtual Directory – Exchange 2007

http://exchangeshare.wordpress.com/2008/07/16/how-to-recreate-owa-virtual-directory-exchange-2007/

Anil MCC 2011,ITIL V3,MCSA 2003,MCTS 2010, My Blog : http://messagingschool.wordpress.com
    • Proposed as answer by Fiona_Liao Wednesday, August 17, 2011 6:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by Fiona_Liao Friday, August 26, 2011 7:08 AM
    Monday, August 15, 2011 9:36 AM
  • Hi Experts,
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Runtime Error 
    Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed. 
    Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on the local server machine, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "RemoteOnly". To enable the details to be viewable on remote machines, please set "mode" to "Off".
    <configuration>
        <system.web>
        </system.web>
    </configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.
    <configuration>
        <system.web>
        </system.web>
    </configuration>

I recreated the OWA virtual directory and uninstalled the sharepoint services but the result is same.
    Thanks in advance
    Jenu

Hi Jenu,

What does it mean by recreated the OWA virtual directory and uninstalled the sharepoint services? Did you re-connect the CAS role and Mailbox role after recreated the OWA virtual directory? Is there any error recorded in the application log?

Note in SBS server, you might need to run the buildin wizard provided to recreate the OWA virtual directory. For details, you might need to submit new thread in SBS Exchange forums here.

Just for your reference, please refer STEP4 in the following article on Re-create the IIS virtual directories to restore links with the Exchange 2007 Mailbox role:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320202

hope it is helpful.

Fiona
    • Proposed as answer by Fiona_Liao Wednesday, August 17, 2011 6:26 AM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 6:26 AM

All replies

• HI Jenu,

By seeing error i would sugest you to recreate OWA cirtual directry in Exchange 2008 SBS server.

How To: Recreate OWA Virtual Directory – Exchange 2007

http://exchangeshare.wordpress.com/2008/07/16/how-to-recreate-owa-virtual-directory-exchange-2007/

Anil MCC 2011,ITIL V3,MCSA 2003,MCTS 2010, My Blog : http://messagingschool.wordpress.com
    • Proposed as answer by Fiona_Liao Wednesday, August 17, 2011 6:16 AM
    Monday, August 15, 2011 9:36 AM
  • You will get a better response if you attempt to use OWA on the server itself. That will allow you to see the true error. All you are seeing at the moment is the general error that is hiding the real reason.

As this is SBS, primary thing to do is run the Fix My Network wizard from the SBS management console.

However if you have recreated the OWA virtual directory then you may have broken things a little more, as SBS makes a number of changes from the usual configuration. You should review the instructions for directory recreation for SBS 2008. Removing Sharepoint may also have broken some things as well.

Get the SBS 2008 BPA tool from Microsoft, install it and run it against your server. See what that flags and correct it.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.
    Monday, August 15, 2011 3:49 PM
  • Hi Experts,
    Runtime Error 
    <configuration>
        <system.web>
        </system.web>
    </configuration>

<configuration>
        <system.web>
        </system.web>
    </configuration>

Thanks in advance
    Jenu

Hi Jenu,

What does it mean by recreated the OWA virtual directory and uninstalled the sharepoint services? Did you re-connect the CAS role and Mailbox role after recreated the OWA virtual directory? Is there any error recorded in the application log?

Note in SBS server, you might need to run the buildin wizard provided to recreate the OWA virtual directory. For details, you might need to submit new thread in SBS Exchange forums here.

Just for your reference, please refer STEP4 in the following article on Re-create the IIS virtual directories to restore links with the Exchange 2007 Mailbox role:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320202

hope it is helpful.

Fiona
    • Proposed as answer by Fiona_Liao Wednesday, August 17, 2011 6:26 AM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 6:26 AM