RAM is 6 GB but showing usable as 2.8 GB only RRS feed

• Question

• I have windows 7 32 bit and RAM is 6 GB but showing usable as 2.8 gb only.Most of the memory showing reserved by hardware.I have Acer Aspire 4738 laptop.Please help.I have tried all as uncheck maximum memory in advance tab-boot--msconfig
    Friday, December 25, 2015 6:04 PM

Answers

• Obviously the only solution to utilizing the 6GB of DRAM on your motherboard is to install the 64-bit version of Windows.

You will have to do a clean install of the 64-bit Windows as there is no upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Sunday, December 27, 2015 1:15 PM
  • Hi,

I quite understand your issue. The 32bit system doesn't require so much RAM space. The 32bit system needs 2 to power of 32 space, about 2.8 G.

You could read the link below to know more information about it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/294418

Wish you have a nice day.

Best Regards

Simon 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 28, 2015 5:56 AM

All replies

• Why can't 32-bit Windows access 4GB of RAM?

32-bit processors and operating systems, in theory, can access up to 4GB of memory. So how come Qasim Zaib's PC, with 4GB installed, only sees 3GB?

Every byte of RAM requires its own address, and the processor limits the length of those addresses. A 32-bit processor uses addresses that are 32 bits long. There are only 4,294,967,296, or 4GB, possible 32-bit addresses.

There are workarounds to these limitations, but they don't really apply to most PCs. I discuss them briefly below.

Okay, so if the processor, and the operating system designed for that processor, can only handle 4GB, why can't Qasim's PC (and yours if it's 32-bit) see that much?

Because not all of those addresses are available for RAM. There are other pieces of hardware inside your computer that need addresses, such as the PCI bus and the USB host adapter.

Your graphics card is probably the biggest address hog. Today's graphics adapters often contain a gigabyte or more of RAM, and every one of those bytes needs an address. To be fair, I doubt that many of those multi-gigabyte graphics cards are in 32-bit PCs, but even a 512mb video card will take a sizeable bite out of 4GB.

Unfortunately, there's not much you can do about it except upgrade to a 64-bit computer and operating system. You'll do that eventually, but you may not need to, or can afford to, right now.

<aside desktop"="" smartphone="" tablet=""></aside>I promised above that I would tell you about a workaround to the 4GB limit, even if it won't really help you. A technology called Physical Address Extension (PAE) allows a 32-bit processor to access up to 64GB.

The good news is that your processor almost certainly supports PAE. The bad news: Unless you're running a server edition, your copy of Windows does not.

So much for that idea.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Proposed as answer by Carey FrischMVP Saturday, December 26, 2015 6:23 PM
    • Edited by Rick Dee Saturday, December 26, 2015 11:33 PM
    Saturday, December 26, 2015 12:38 PM
  • I agree with your input.What is the solution .Should i install 64Bit OS on my system.Is that going to resolve this issue.Please Guide me.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks

Raj

RKP

Sunday, December 27, 2015 12:08 AM
  • Obviously the only solution to utilizing the 6GB of DRAM on your motherboard is to install the 64-bit version of Windows.

You will have to do a clean install of the 64-bit Windows as there is no upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit.

Sunday, December 27, 2015 1:15 PM
  • Hi,

I quite understand your issue. The 32bit system doesn't require so much RAM space. The 32bit system needs 2 to power of 32 space, about 2.8 G.

You could read the link below to know more information about it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/294418

Wish you have a nice day.

Best Regards

Simon 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 28, 2015 5:56 AM
  • Hi,
    We wonder if there is any luck your issue has been resolved, if you've found solution by yourself. We would appreciate it if you could share with us and we will mark it as answer.
    Best Regards,
    Simon

Wednesday, January 6, 2016 7:41 AM