none
Reports from Resource Pool RRS feed

• Question

• Hello 

Sorry if this is a silly question but im teaching myself MS Project after moving from P6.

I am working on MS Project 2013. 

I have created a resource pool and im looking to getting the resource & project forecast for the next year, i will also be looking to get create 3 month forecasts each quarter but my problem is i have tried to create these reports from the resource pool - just the built in work overview report but it doesnt return any information. 

So my question is do i have to create a master project with sub projects in order to run this report or can i do it by just opening the resource pool and extracting the info from there? If i create a master/sub project do i need to re-create this each time a project changes, i may be confused but it doesnt appear that they update so how do i get this to work without having to recreate the master project each time it changes.

Thanks for reading i hope i have made sense :)

Thanks Kath 

Kath

Friday, January 9, 2015 1:52 PM

All replies

• Kath --

Did you actually attach any projects to the shared resource pool file?  If not, you need to do that first, then assign resources from the pool to tasks in each project.  You can optionally create a master project and insert each project as a subproject, which would give you the big picture you are seeking.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, January 9, 2015 2:51 PM
  • Hi Dale

Yes my resource pool has all the resources attached but i havent opened the plans along with the resource pool so when i click on work overview report it comes up blank.

So if i create a master project with sub projects inserted do i have to recreate this everytime the project changes? 

Kath

Friday, January 9, 2015 3:00 PM
  • Hi Kathee,

I am sure you would have followed; http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg982979(v=office.15).aspx . Secondly are your resources assigned to tasks of the project, try reducing the duration for viewing the engagement, the OOB report should give you data accordingly. 

Regards, Syed Faizan ur Rehman, CBPM®,PRINCE2®, MCTS

Monday, January 12, 2015 6:08 AM
  • Thanks Syed,

Im not actually working on server its just standard project 2013.

Kath

Kath

Monday, January 12, 2015 8:07 AM
  • Hi Kath,

You can save the master file. I don't because tehre is a vey easy one-click way to create it once the projects are linked to a pool. When opening the pool you will have form with 3 options. When you select he 3rd one ("pool and sharers") Project actually (re) creates a master file.

Greetings,

Monday, January 12, 2015 4:17 PM
  • Thanks very much will try that

Kath

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 1:34 PM