How can i pre-populate the "New List Item" fields. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

Hoping for some help or to steer me the right direction.

I have created a custom list to store document Titles and numbers as well as date and revision and a few other bits of information. The list works great and it does exactly what i was looking for. I have set up the View so that the display "groups" all the entries by "document number".

This is ideal since when you look into the list you can see each document starting from 1 though to say 5.... then if you want to see the revisions of each doc you can drill down on that number to see all the other entries...say rev1 rev2 rev3 etc...

The problem is, each time you click "new list item" you need to re-fill in most of the details even if they have already been entered before.

Is it possible to maybe have the first field called document number... then if you select a document number that already exists in this list it will pre-populate most of the rest of the fields for you... and if you select a number that has not already been entered then you can continue on as normal filling in the info yourself.

I hope that makes sence... if anyone has any ideas i would be very greatful.

Andy Walker
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 7:53 AM

All replies

• Hi

Under List/ Library settings there is a link called "Column Default Value Settings". If you know the default values for the columns, you can manually enter the values. This will help you in re-filling most of the details.

Hope this helps...

- Sridhar
    Please visit my blog SharePointSchool.net for getting started with SharePoint 2010
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 11:24 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.

this would be great except i dont know the default values....

they will be differennt depending on what the document number is.

What i want is for when a user is filling out the form, sharepoint checks to see if a documnent no "2"(eg) has previosly been enterend and IF it has then to populate the remainder of the form with the details from document no 2

Thursday, September 22, 2011 11:30 AM
  • There is no out-of the box solution for this requirement. The best way is to create a simple Item Added event Handler, where you query the library to check if a particular document has been uploaded or not. If yes, then populate it with the values.
    - Sridhar
    Please visit my blog SharePointSchool.net for getting started with SharePoint 2010
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 11:34 AM
  • that sound like what ill have to do... could you please give me a few pointers on how to achive this.

Not looking for a complete walkthrough (although would love one) but just a few words on how i can do this.

thanks very much for your help.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 11:37 AM
  • Hello,

Sridhar Voleti is right.

Please look into the following link for more info:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/brianwilson/archive/2007/03/05/part-1-event-handlers-everything-you-need-to-know-about-microsoft-office-sharepoint-portal-server-moss-event-handlers.aspx

Thanks & Regards, Chandra Shekhar Rameneni
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 12:00 PM
  • thanks again.

Do i need MOSS?

Can i do it with Sharepoint Designer?

My Sharepoint is online with BPOS.

Thanks

Thursday, September 22, 2011 12:07 PM
  • Maybe I'm missing something, but why use a custom list to display Document properties when surely customising a document library itself would do that?

Most of the answers here are apt, but if you're working with Word Documents, then I'd draw your attention to quick parts, which can pre-populate some of the metadata fields for you.  They're not available in all Office applications, but it may help IF you're using word.

http://sharepoint.microsoft.com/blogs/getthepoint/lists/posts/post.aspx?id=46

Steven Andrews | SharePoint Professional | http://www.twitter.com/backpackerd00d | https://baron72.wordpress.com/
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 12:11 PM
    Answerer
  • thanks,

im not actually working with a document as such. more a list / register for documents. they documnets are not and will not be stored on sharepoint.

i just need to find away that user can come to sharepoint and enter some details in to "first" register a new documnent and get its new number eg document number 3...... (details entered such as title date, issued too, created by, revision etc).....

i then want people to be able to continue to do this for new documents gettin numbers 4, 5, 6 and so on.... (this is all fine)

then i want someone to be able to come back and put a new entry in for document 3 in order to change a few details eg its revision.

this again works ok as i have the view set to "group" them by the document number so the new revised entry stays next to the orgininal for each document number. the problem is when someone does this they have to re-enter ALL the data again like title etc..

i dont know if that maybe explains it better?

thanks

Thursday, September 22, 2011 12:21 PM
  • Hi Andy,

You indicated that it is SharePoint BPOS. Is it the 2007 version or 2010 version. Again, is it Shared or Dedicated? If it is dedicated, you can deploy Farm Solutions to your environment. If it is Shared, you can only deploy only Sand-Box Solutions to your site collections.

You can achieve this by creating a new custom solution in Visual studio 2010 where you have to create a simple event receiver which retreives the values of an existing document.

- Sridhar
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 12:29 PM
  • its 2007 and its dedicated.

thanks dont know anything or have never used VS... maybe this is beyond me!

Thursday, September 22, 2011 12:31 PM