none
Hyper-V on Windows Server 2016 and Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2016, difference

Question

• hi, experts, I am totally new to server knowledge

I found that there are versions of Hyper-V.

Hyper-V on Windows Server 2016

and Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2016

by what cases, I should select Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2016 to install? blade server? and create VM? am I correct?

by what cases, I should select Hyper-V on Windows Server 2016 ? 

further, inside VM in blade server? do I need to install Hyper-V for replication, failover to configure? etc?

thank you very much!

delaynomore

delaynomore.

Saturday, March 4, 2017 5:47 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Hyper-V server standalone --> Hyper-V Server is a dedicated stand-alone product that contains the hypervisor, Windows Server driver model, virtualization capabilities, and supporting components such as failover clustering, but does not contain the robust set of features and roles as the Windows Server operating system. When you install Hyper-V standalone server you will need to administer it remotelly because there is no GUI. It looks like server core .People usually install this to reduce reboots and attack surface.

Second thing why people choose hyper-v stand alone is because of licensing. It is free but you will need to have license for VMs that you will be running on top of the hypervisor. 

Hyper-V role on WIndows server --> when you install it you will get all of the cool roles and features that you can install on the host machine but when it comes right down to it we generally keep the hosts as clean as possible from running additional workloads outside of Hyper-V.

Second thing is licensing. When you install full gui server and enable hyper-v role you will be able to license 2 VM which will run on that host with Standard and unlimited with Datacenter. What I mean by that is that you will be able to use host license to license VMs

REPLICATION -->You don't need to install nothing inside VM itself.  You will need to enable replication on Hyper-V host first. 

Please take a look on my site how to enable replcation (https://nedimmehic.org/2017/01/29/hyper-v-2016-replication/)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. 
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

• Edited by Nedim Mehic Saturday, March 4, 2017 8:12 AM
    • Marked as answer by delaynomore Saturday, March 4, 2017 9:34 AM
    Saturday, March 4, 2017 8:06 AM
  • A major consideration in making the selection between Hyper-V Server and Windows Server with the Hyper-V role is your comfort level with managing Hyper-V Server.  It is designed to be managed remotely.  There is no GUI on Hyper-V Server.  There is a command-line interface.  So you need to be comfortable with managing and troubleshooting systems remotely or via command line.  If you are not comfortable with this, you are better served by installing Windows Server with the desktop option.  The capabilities of Hyper-V are exactly the same, but management is different.

. : | : . : | : . tim

• Marked as answer by delaynomore Monday, March 6, 2017 1:43 AM
    Saturday, March 4, 2017 1:17 PM

All replies

• hi,Nedim Mehic, 

thanks for your answer.

actually this is my case.

I have a new project now.
    for the project, we are going to purchase 2 blade servers.
    one for primary and one for secondary.

on 2 blade servers, Hyper V will be installed for VM solutions.
    there are 3 VMs to be created in each primary blade and secondary blade. totally , 6 VMs.

on each blade.
    A) windows server 2016 standard, web portal, tomcat (vendor to manage) , 4 cores, 8 gb ram
    B) windows server 2016 standard, IIS, .net web services , 4 cores, 8 gb ram
    C) windows server 2016 standard, SQL server 2016 standard,, 4 cores, 8 gb ram

web portal on A calls web services on B and database of A is C.

for this design, I only know that the VM solution is HyperV. 

so for the project, 

Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2016 to be install in blade server?

or my purpose can also be done with  windows server 2016 with Hyper-V role  installed in blade server?

Hyper-V role to be enabled in each VM which will use Windows Server 2016 Standard?

thank you very much!

delaynomore

delaynomore.

• Marked as answer by delaynomore Saturday, March 4, 2017 12:02 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by delaynomore Saturday, March 4, 2017 12:02 PM
    • Edited by delaynomore Saturday, March 4, 2017 12:03 PM
    Saturday, March 4, 2017 9:36 AM
  • A major consideration in making the selection between Hyper-V Server and Windows Server with the Hyper-V role is your comfort level with managing Hyper-V Server.  It is designed to be managed remotely.  There is no GUI on Hyper-V Server.  There is a command-line interface.  So you need to be comfortable with managing and troubleshooting systems remotely or via command line.  If you are not comfortable with this, you are better served by installing Windows Server with the desktop option.  The capabilities of Hyper-V are exactly the same, but management is different.

• Marked as answer by delaynomore Monday, March 6, 2017 1:43 AM
    Saturday, March 4, 2017 1:17 PM
  • understand, so it means, it can install windows server 2016 with hyper-v role on blade server one.

delaynomore.

Monday, March 6, 2017 1:43 AM
  • Yes, you can install either Hyper-V Server or Windows Server with Hyper-V.  For consistency, I would install the same host OS on both physical systems.  It sounds like you are fairly new to this environment, so my suggestion would be to start with Windows Server until you feel comfortable with remote/command-line management.  Both products have the same virtualization engine, so there is no difference in regards to what can be done in the virtualization space. 

Monday, March 6, 2017 2:11 PM