none
Do the users of my app need to refresh their developer license every month?

Question

• I had to refresh my developer license in order to open my app and to publish new versions. No problem to me. Still, anybody that I share my app with has to get a developer license, to be able to install my app. Does this all imply that the users need to refresh every month, if they want to continue using my app? It would mean a dramatic negative effect. I think I would loose all my users in due cause.

Regards, Wouter

Saturday, January 25, 2014 4:23 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Wouter,

If you're developing an app for the Windows enterprise, then Windows 8 Enterprise edition allows users to "side-load" applications without the need for a developer license. Similarly, if you are publishing your app to the Windows Store, then there is also no need for a developer license. The only scenario where users need to obtain a developer license and renew it monthly is if you are producing and distributing appx packages by yourself.

Thanks!
    Bao

Monday, January 27, 2014 11:47 PM
  • Hi Bao,

Thank you for your clear response.

I now have an account with the App Store, so I could publish. Only I don't really want to. My app is intended for a limited audience only. It will be part of a training package. I can't find how to realise that in the store.

My question would then be: can I publish the app in the store and allow only those persons that I have authorised to download the app? E.g. by giving them a one-time-key, or something?

Explanation: I provide training and personal coaching. My students get the app as part of the training material, especially for future reference.

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 7:47 AM
  • Hi Wouter,

If you're developing an app for the Windows enterprise, then Windows 8 Enterprise edition allows users to "side-load" applications without the need for a developer license. Similarly, if you are publishing your app to the Windows Store, then there is also no need for a developer license. The only scenario where users need to obtain a developer license and renew it monthly is if you are producing and distributing appx packages by yourself.

Thanks!
    Bao

Can you explain the Publishing process using "side-loading"? Is there currently any Chance to distribute a siena app to devices with users having no admin rights?

Best Mobilizer

Friday, February 07, 2014 3:29 PM
  • Hello Mobilizer,

The sideloading process in enterprises is clearly explained in the following article

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/jj657971.aspx

Hope this helps

Regards
    StonyArc

• Proposed as answer by StonyArcMVP Saturday, February 08, 2014 7:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by Wouter_V Thursday, March 06, 2014 7:20 PM
    Saturday, February 08, 2014 7:06 AM