Voicemail Password RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know if it is possible to require a password to retrieve your voicemails from standalone IP phones?  I cannot see any option in UM to require this.  Since the IP phones are always logged in, this allows anyone with physical access to the phone to be able to access other user's voicemail.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 11:12 PM

Answers

• Hi Ghentry,

I'm afraid that there's no option that you suggest currently with the system. In IP Phone, you can go to the "Voice mail" tab and directly connect to your voicemail. This is design to make it user friendly to user that he/she do not want to enter any extra password to go to the Voice mail. 

As you know the Security and the Friendlessness are completely go against each other, the only way to Bar this feature is enforcing a lock code on the device.

Saying that, User does not require to lock the phone all the time. you can specify a time window and key strength for the lock code.

if you specify to lock the phone after 1 minute (Seems practical), it'll automatically lock out. But you still be able to dial calls out. Only Menu option will be locked.

Thamara.

• Proposed as answer by Sean_Xiao Tuesday, October 11, 2011 9:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sean_Xiao Wednesday, October 12, 2011 8:35 AM
    Friday, October 7, 2011 4:13 PM

All replies

• If you enforce phone lock, it will require a PIN to unlock the device. You can set the PhoneLockTimeout from 0 to 60 minutes.

Set-CsUCPhoneConfiguration

Or in Lync Control Panel - Clients, Device Configuration

Thursday, October 6, 2011 12:13 AM
  • Hi Ghentry,

Do you mean you want to retrieve your voicemails in other user's IP phones?

If yes, you should logout the user's account and login with your own account. Or you can set a phone number for UM. You can call the number in other phones and it will require your PIN, then you can access your voice mails.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 5:22 AM
  • Hi Ghentry,

Do you mean you want to retrieve your voicemails in other user's IP phones?

If yes, you should logout the user's account and login with your own account. Or you can set a phone number for UM. You can call the number in other phones and it will require your PIN, then you can access your voice mails.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    No, let me explain it better. If I have an IP phone, I don't want someone to be able to walk up to it and listen to MY voicemails. The solution I keep hearing is to lock the handset. That then requires users to unlock their phones every day which is not required on a normal PBX. I think the solution I am looking for us for the Exchange team to give us the option in UM to require a password to be entered to access the user's voicemail.
    Friday, October 7, 2011 3:52 PM
  • Hi Ghentry,

I'm afraid that there's no option that you suggest currently with the system. In IP Phone, you can go to the "Voice mail" tab and directly connect to your voicemail. This is design to make it user friendly to user that he/she do not want to enter any extra password to go to the Voice mail. 

As you know the Security and the Friendlessness are completely go against each other, the only way to Bar this feature is enforcing a lock code on the device.

Saying that, User does not require to lock the phone all the time. you can specify a time window and key strength for the lock code.

if you specify to lock the phone after 1 minute (Seems practical), it'll automatically lock out. But you still be able to dial calls out. Only Menu option will be locked.

Thamara.

• Proposed as answer by Sean_Xiao Tuesday, October 11, 2011 9:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sean_Xiao Wednesday, October 12, 2011 8:35 AM
    Friday, October 7, 2011 4:13 PM