Hanging Problem. RRS feed

• Question

• I've recently had to reformat and reinstall XP with SP3 on a PC. The PC hangs now and again especially when it is restarting or the user is logging off. I've tried installing the UPH Clean Up Service but this has not resloved the problem. The PC does not have any viruses or spyware or malware and it has all the latest patches. It is also defragmented and has plenty of free space and RAM . There are no hardware problems. I noticed that the response time was slow when browsing folders on the local disk when I was logged in using the administrator account. When I turned off "Hide protected operating system files" the response time improved dramatically. Has anyone any ideas? Thanks in advance for any replies.
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 9:40 AM

All replies

• McAfee or Norton?

Version 8.5 of McAfee is horrible. It slows PCs down no matter what hardware specification you have. It might be struggling to scan when showing System Files.

Thursday, March 3, 2011 9:44 AM
  • Symantec Version 11.0.6100
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 10:02 AM
  • P.S. I turned off the ""Hide protected operating system files" option so when it shows the system files the response time improves. I don't know why that is.
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 10:05 AM
  • Can you uninstall Symantec temporarily to see if your response times improve? Anytime Norton or McAfee is installed on a computer, it's usually the first thing I suspect as the troublemaker. You should also check Event Viewer for any recurring error messages.
    Friday, March 4, 2011 10:18 AM