none
Email cannot send Internal and External After start from power cut off RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Forum Users,

I have a problem with Mail server Exchange 2013 that running with both CAS and MB. The power cut off make machine accidentally shutdown, and After starting up machine, Mail server is not able to Send/Received email. not working both internal and external. Please kindly advise me about idea of problem that possible happen, i never meet this problem before. thank you in Advance. 

Regards,

SAM

Sokneang SAM

Friday, April 29, 2016 3:04 PM

All replies

• Are the "Microsoft Exchange *" services running ? What do you get when running Get-Queue in an Exchange Management Shell Window ? Do you get any errors related to Exchange in the Event Viewer ?
    Friday, April 29, 2016 3:40 PM
  • From a server point of view:

check to ensure all exchange services are running.

Check the event log for any errors that are related to this issue and address them.

From broader point of view:

You said you suffered a power outage that brought down your server.  Well, if it brought down your server, it brought down a whole lot more than that.  Ensure your networking is good still.  Ensure the ports are still open between your exchange and the internet, and between your exchange and your internal clients.

With the information you've provided, this is the best advice we can give right now.

Friday, April 29, 2016 4:02 PM
  • Dear Xecros, 

First, we verify all service. Everything is up and running. Confirmed. 

We have one Database that problem with path, and state is unmount. 

I use OWA of difference two accounts testing sending email together but status show message in Draft

I test send email from outside to exchange server is not working. with Telnet on SMTP  the port is open. 

I am not sure what is the real problem since we cover the basic mail flow and still not working. 

Regards,

Sokneang SAM

Friday, April 29, 2016 4:28 PM
  • you said a database is dismounted and won't mount.  Any mailbox that is on this database will not be able to send or receive email.  if any of your users are on this database, you need to get it mounted.

Check the event log, and find out why it won't mount.

I once had this issue before, a long time ago, where a database wouldn't mount.  I got a crash course in the use of eseutil and isinteg

Anyways, if you've confirmed network connectivity, and you've confirmed all ports are still, properly open, and you've confirmed the services are all started, well, there isn't much else we can tell you to try and fix.

CHECK THE EVENT LOGS!!!  I'll guarantee they'll have errors.  Google the errors and go from there.

Friday, April 29, 2016 4:46 PM
  • Actually, the dismount database happen, when IT admin try to change path by command line but it was error then vm restore back from VM snapshot. There is no user mailbox on that but it has Arbitration Mailbox inside that and we can migrate it to new database since it was error. 

Thank for your advise, i will try for event viewer and googling it. 

Sokneang SAM

Saturday, April 30, 2016 12:47 AM
  • Dear Albert, 

Microsoft Exchange * service is running all now.

When i get-Queue, it show ready and no queue message inside. 

Message is keeping in Draft folder in OWA and outlook. 

Sokneang SAM

Saturday, April 30, 2016 12:49 AM
  • Hi,

Why changing the path of database after starting up server?

What's the error when trying to mount database from EMS?

If you need our targeted suggestions, please post the detailed events in application log.

Best Regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Lynn-Li
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, May 2, 2016 6:37 AM
  • Dear Lynn,

When we face error, IT admin type command line to move mailbox database path and log path => after moving path they failed to start exchange then They restored Exchange configuration from vmware snapshots. They can start exchange, administrator cannot log on so, need to create new DB and new admin. The old database wasn't able to deleted cause still have system arbitration inside. 

Regards,

Sokneang SAM

Monday, May 2, 2016 2:59 PM
  • Unfortunately, there isn't much help that can be provided here.  

From what i can piece together here, you suffered a power outage that brought down your server.  When you powered it back on, the database wouldn't mount.  Someone, thought that moving the database to a different location would fix it.  It didn't, and I'm pretty sure it made the problem worse.  You restored the VM from a snapshot....maybe it brought you back to your original problem, maybe it didn't, maybe it introduced additional problems.  

So, databases not mounting can be caused by a number of different problems, and the fixes for each of those problems are different.

2 of those problems I've encountered in the past were, the log drive filled up and the database became corrupt.  The fix for my first problem, was deleting the old log files to free up space.  The fix for my 2nd problem was running eseutil on the database and repairing the corruption.

Without knowing the error message, or what errors are being posted in the Event Log, no one will be able to provide you with any kind of help or advice.

When you try to mount the database, what error does it give you?  Exact wording please...

Monday, May 2, 2016 3:17 PM
  • When we face error, IT admin type command line to move mailbox database path and log path => after moving path they failed to start exchange then They restored Exchange configuration from vmware snapshots. They can start exchange, administrator cannot log on so, need to create new DB and new admin. The old database wasn't able to deleted cause still have system arbitration inside.

Hi,

Please check events in application log for troubleshooting. The event could be the key of the problem.

Meanwhile, use the Test-Mailflow cmdlet to diagnose whether mail can be successfully sent from and delivered to the system mailbox on a Mailbox server.

Best Regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Lynn-Li
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 9:17 AM