Problems with audiences RRS feed

• Question

• I have the issue described in the knowledge base article, Memebers of AD groups are not able to see links even when added to a SharePoint group contolling permissions to the navigation node. Individual users accounts work correctly.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;948681

We have installed the latest cumulative update. However, I went ahead and downloaded and installed this hotfix. The install failed with the message "The expected version of the product was not found on the system." That's not a suprise. Since accoding to our version number we have this fix installed.

We also have a problem with the UI not showing audiences after they are added and errors related to the blob cache. All these errors should have been resolved in patches included in our cumulative updates. However, the errors have persisted. At this point I suspect the patches are not installing correctly. I don't know how to test this theory.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike

Thursday, November 17, 2011 10:31 PM

Answers

• No. I was told to contact tech support and I have not had time to do that yet.

Mike

• Marked as answer by mbuckingham Friday, February 17, 2012 3:35 PM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 4:42 PM

All replies

• I have the issue described in the knowledge base article, Memebers of AD groups are not able to see links even when added to a SharePoint group contolling permissions to the navigation node. Individual users accounts work correctly.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;948681

We have installed the latest cumulative update. However, I went ahead and downloaded and installed this hotfix. The install failed with the message "The expected version of the product was not found on the system." That's not a suprise. Since accoding to our version number we have this fix installed.

We also have a problem with the UI not showing audiences after they are added and errors related to the blob cache. All these errors should have been resolved in patches included in our cumulative updates. However, the errors have persisted. At this point I suspect the patches are not installing correctly. I don't know how to test this theory.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike

By the way, our version is 12.0.0.6565 which is August 2011 Cumulative update
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 10:39 PM
  • Hello Mike,

There are times when issues documented in hotfix/KB articles seem very similar to what you face, but may turn out to be relatively different if checked in detail. In such situations the hotfix/CU/SP may not seem to be effective even after correct upgrade procedure.

However, there are a few things that you can do or check in order to fix these problems. You can check the respective upgrade.log file along with the PSCDiagnostics.log files that get created during those attempts. While not every failure in any of these files would mean upgrade issues, it can certainly help you rule out possible issues causing effectiveness of updated binaries to nullify.

Try to reproduce problem with AD groups on another environment with SP2 and August 2011 CU installed, both for WSS and MOSS. Ensure that you see exactly same problem – users added through AD groups don’t see the web part but individually added users to same SharePoint group see them. Any exception in this behaviour that you may see, would mean issue you face is having a different cause which cannot be fixed with hotfix. Considering the entire POST in singularity, I can make out that the issues that you face are not specific to only the AD groups as documented in the KB/hotfix article, but rather other problems causing this behaviour. Probably that is the reason you see other problems with audience functionality for other users as well, as you mentioned. 

Please note that installing updates like hotfixes, cumulative updates, service packs etc. will not fix errors or issues with environment. In fact, reverse is possible; issues with environment can hamper installation of these updates and may render them to fail. Same holds true even for the blob cache related errors that you mentioned. Still, if you are very sure issues are purely because of updates, you can also try out installing the SP3 that released last month. Again, ensure you install them for both WSS and MOSS:

Description of Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 SP3 and of Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 Language Pack SP3
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2526305

Description of the 2007 Office Servers SP3 and of the 2007 Office Servers Language Pack SP3
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2526299

If after successful upgrade to the service pack 3 still does not fix both issues with the audiences and blob cache, best check would be to try and reproduce same behaviour on another clean environment. If issue does not appear, it would certainly mean problems with environment or configuration that needs to be investigated further.

Thanks,

Regards,
    Manas Biswas
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helps you or click 'Unmark as Answer' if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, November 28, 2011 6:55 PM
  • Hi Manas,

Thank you for your response. It's very helpful. I am not sure that the hotfixes failed and I will install SP3. I became suspicious because I was able to reproduce the same bug across four farms. Three had been patched over time and one had been built from scratch. The problem that is consistent across all the environment is assigned audiences are not displayed after they have been assigned to a navigation node. In other words we use the navigation editor to assign audiences to a node. The nodes are appropriately security trimmed but when we go back into the editor there are no audiences displayed in the audience field. What could cause this issue?

Mike

Monday, November 28, 2011 8:45 PM
  • Hello Mike,

The problem that you mentioned is in relation to the audience setting not retained when selecting it for specific navigation. This is very different from initial POST for audience issues with AD groups and the related hotfix. You can try to make sure the audiences that are created are compiled correctly. If problem persists, you can even try upgrading to SP3 and test out. So far there is no known isuses as such and hence, in order to work further if this still does not help, we will need to actively troubleshoot the issue.

Thanks,

Regards,
    Manas Biswas

Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helps you or click 'Unmark as Answer' if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 11:44 AM
  • Hi Manus,

It's actually with both AD groups and audiences. We add them, close the editor then go back into the editor to see what audiences the node has and the field is blank. 

I have narrowed the scope on my original question as this is the issue that persists across all our environments. I have no problem installing service pack 3. I think I installed it on a test server and the problem was not resolved. I'll double check to confirm that.

Thanks,

Mike

Thursday, December 22, 2011 4:13 PM
  • Hello Mike,

Thank you for the update . If after installing SP3 the issue still persists I would recommend opening a paid support case to further investigate the issue. Please visit the below link to see the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone. If you are a MSDN / TechNet subscriber, you can also contact our support by using your free support incidents.

However, other members of the community may still have encountered the issue you're seeing, and have a solution to offer!

Thanks,

Regards,
    Manas Biswas

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 11:22 AM
  • Mike,

Were you ever able to resolve the issue with closing the editor, going back into the editor, and the field being blank?  I'm seeing the same issue, and not finding any resolution. 

Thanks.

Beth

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 8:25 PM
  • No. I was told to contact tech support and I have not had time to do that yet.

Mike

• Marked as answer by mbuckingham Friday, February 17, 2012 3:35 PM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 4:42 PM