none
Moving a cluster Quorum - Hyper-V 2k8 R2 2-node cluster RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am aware I can use the "Configure a cluster quorum wizard" to move the quorum from one LUN to another, but in the process of doing this will it shut-down the cluster or my HA Hyper-V VMs?

Cluster Info:

Windows 2008 R2 Datacenter Core

Hosts: 2

Moving from an iSCSI LUN to a new fiber SAN.

Thanks!

Monday, February 14, 2011 2:51 PM

Answers

• Perhaps a more verbose answer would help.

You can switch quorum models without disrupting the cluster operations if both the "before" and "after' models support running with the current configuration.  You can switch to a "node majority" model then back to a "node plus disk majority" on the fly.  When you switch back, you will be prompted to choose a new disk resource as the witness (quorum) drive.

Read and test before deploying into production unless you want a low-availability solution.

Geoff N. Hiten Principal Consultant Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 9:10 PM

All replies

• You can reconfigure quorum settings online
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 12:49 AM
  • Perhaps a more verbose answer would help.

You can switch quorum models without disrupting the cluster operations if both the "before" and "after' models support running with the current configuration.  You can switch to a "node majority" model then back to a "node plus disk majority" on the fly.  When you switch back, you will be prompted to choose a new disk resource as the witness (quorum) drive.

Read and test before deploying into production unless you want a low-availability solution.

Geoff N. Hiten Principal Consultant Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 9:10 PM
  • Thanks Geoff.  I am keeping the model the same, just moving it to a new LUN.  As per the BPs for Hyper-V on 2 hosts I am staying with Node and Disk Majority.

Cheers!

Monday, February 21, 2011 10:54 PM
  • Thanks for the comments.
    @Sailboat37 do you happen to have the proper process to move the quorum from one LUN to another? I'm actually looking for that particular activity that you just reported in here.

Kind regards,

eivargasm

Friday, October 19, 2012 5:16 PM