Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V Cluster to Server 2016 Hyper-V in-Place "upgrade" RRS feed

• Question

• I have a cluster of three Windows 2008 R2 Hyper-V servers with Shared Cluster Volumes in a SAN with about 5 TB of VMs on it. I want to upgrade the Hosts to 2016 and I don't have enough space elsewhere to export the VMs to first.  I know I cannot do an in-place upgrade of the cluster.  I'd like to turn off all VMs, commit any snapshots, rebuild the cluster as Server 2016 with Hyper-V pointing to the same SAN/CSVs, and then import the VMs (leaving the VMs where they are).  Is there any way to natively import these VMs or am I stuck with the PITA process of manually creating new VM Configs, pointing to the existing VHD files, and reconfiguring the NICs?  If I have to do it all manually, is there a good way to document the configuration of each VM (maybe using PowerShell) and then use that to re-create the VMs?

Thanks.

Alex

Monday, October 2, 2017 2:30 AM

All replies

• Hi Jinseng,

We may use the following method to migrate Hyper Cluster from Server 2008R2 to Cluster 2016;

1. Select one node(N3), pause>Drain Roles, then Evict this node;

2. Upgrade N3 to Server 2016, then install Hyper V and failover on H3, join to the domain and connect to the shared storage. Create a new cluster on N3 with a different cluster name (Example: upgradetest);

3. Right click the new cluster name>More Actions>"Copy cluster roles"> select the original cluster, if you want to copy other roles from the old cluster to the new one, you may do this step;

4. On the old cluster, stop all roles, and offline all cluster disks and remove the cluster disks; one the new cluster, add the disks to the new cluster (H3 needs to connect to the shared storage), then, online the disks, here we may see the disk with VMs' files stored in the old cluster will turn to be CSV on the new cluster automatically, online all disks if they don't online automatically:

4. Then in the Hyper Manager on H3, import the VMs from the CSV:

5. Then add the VMs to the cluster:

6. After ensure the VMs running well on the new cluster, destroy the old cluster;

7. Then upgrade Node 1 and Node 2 to Server 2016, after that, add node1 and node 2 to the new cluster.

8. After doing the above, run Cluster validation wizard again, ensure everything works well.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 2, 2017 6:42 AM
  • Hi Jinseng,

As you may find, during the migration, we need to have two cluster, old cluster and new cluster, evict one node out of the old cluster, then create a new cluster on the node(One node cluster), then copy roles from old cluster to new cluster. Offline roles and remove storage from the old cluster, then online these resource on the new cluster. After that, destroy old cluster and add to the new cluster.

Best Regards,

Anne 

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 2, 2017 6:46 AM
  • Thanks for all the details.  I'll run some tests and plan the "upgrade".  I'll report back with any issues/questions I come up with.  Wish me luck.

Alex

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 3:25 AM
  • Hi Jinseng,

Yeah, welcome to feedback if you need additional assistance. And the steps in my last reply have been tested in my lab, it worked, and also hope you luck.

Best Regards,

Anne

Thursday, October 5, 2017 3:04 AM