HLB and mediation problem RRS feed

• Question

• I think I've identified a problem that just cropped up in a Lync pilot.  I just need to know the best solution.

We had a functional solution deployed and have been adding components to fully test out some options.  Previously a two server front end pool with colocated mediation was using DNS Load Balancing.  Calls in and out through a gateway were functioning correctly.

Recently a new HLB went in.  As of that time call functionality broke.  Lync logs say the gateway (Mediation Pool name) is marked as down.  Now the mediation pool and front end pool shared the same name.  that name now points to the load balancer.  The Load balancer is not configured (currently) to load balance SIP traffic.

I am looking for both what is the easiest solution to correct this, and what is the right way.  Create a new mediation pool with a different name that resolves to both servers?  or load balance the SIP traffic (also the UDP?)

Monday, January 16, 2012 4:08 PM

Answers

• HLB is only supported for the web (HTTPS) traffic. This web traffic should point at a separate web services FQDN (which you will need to define in Topology Builder) that resolves to the VIP of your HLB and sends the web traffic to your FEs.

The SIP traffic (to Front End servers, Mediation servers, etc) should use DNS load balancing, not HLB.

Justin Morris | Consultant | Modality Systems
    Lync Blog - www.justin-morris.net
    Twitter: @jm_deluxe
    If this post has been useful please click the green arrow to the left or click "Propose as answer"

• Proposed as answer by Sean_Xiao Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sean_Xiao Tuesday, January 24, 2012 2:07 AM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 4:48 PM

All replies

• So allowing 5060 TCP through the HLB does not fix it.  I get a SIP 488 Not Accepted Here back when making an inbound call.  And the mediation pool is still marked as down in the event logs. 
    Monday, January 16, 2012 8:04 PM
  • How come you're using a HLB for your Mediation Pool and not DNS Load Balancing as supported? 

Have a look at the Load Balancing Requirements article on TechNet for more info.

If this post has been useful please click the green arrow to the left or click "Propose as answer"

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 1:41 AM
  • My preference (and i'm waiting for the net admin and LB vendor to agree) is to set a new name for the web sevices.  I think this would be inline with the article above.  The way it was deployed they took the DNS name for the front end pool (and thus for the mediation pool) to point at the LB.  In other microsoft docs i see that DNS LB is preferred for SIP traffic but that HLB is supported as well.  Right now it's not answering the SIP calls though, just returning the 488 Not Acceptable here.  I'm waiting to hear from the HLB vendor on this.
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 4:30 PM
  • HLB is only supported for the web (HTTPS) traffic. This web traffic should point at a separate web services FQDN (which you will need to define in Topology Builder) that resolves to the VIP of your HLB and sends the web traffic to your FEs.

The SIP traffic (to Front End servers, Mediation servers, etc) should use DNS load balancing, not HLB.

• Proposed as answer by Sean_Xiao Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sean_Xiao Tuesday, January 24, 2012 2:07 AM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 4:48 PM