How to disable/restrict users to view pictures? RRS feed

• Question

• Anyone can help me with this issue. Due to our company policy, we need to disable/restrict some user to view pictures. It seem like no solution to disable the Windows Photo Gallery in the Windows Vista. Any workaround solution?

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 11:47 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I assume you are trying to forbid people to use Windows Live Photo Gallery.

Can't you just uninstall it?

http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=wl_photo_gallery&market=en-in&querytype=topic&query=wl_photo_gallery_proc_uninstallphotogallery.htm

But still, some users will be able to open pictures using other applications... even the browser.

I don't believe it's possible to disable picture viewing completely because even websites have pictures.

Can you send more information about your problem? Do they receive the pictures by email?

Thursday, February 28, 2008 8:24 PM
  • Sorry, I'm not talking about the Windows Live Photo Gallery. I means the Windows Photo Gallery come with Windows Vista.

For Windows 2000, by default no one can view picture file unless we assign the proper permission in the registry listed below:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools

For Windows XP, I can turn off the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer as my default image viewer like below:

Solution #1:

• Run the Registry Editor (REGEDIT.EXE).
    • Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ SystemFileAssociations\ image\ ShellEx\ ContextMenuHandlers.
    • Delete the ShellImagePreview key.
    • Close the Registry Editor when you're done; the change will take effect immediately.

Solution #2:

• Run the Registry Editor (REGEDIT.EXE).
    • Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ CLSID\ {e84fda7c-1d6a-45f6-b725-cb260c236066}\ shellex.
    • Delete the MayChangeDefaultMenu key.
    • Close the Registry Editor when you're done; the change will take effect immediately.

Is there a similar thing in Windows Vista to disable the default image viewer (Windows Photo Gallery)?
    Friday, February 29, 2008 12:38 AM