none
MS Project 2010: Changing Working Times - Global Update of Previously Created Tasks? RRS feed

• Question

• How, if possible, can you create a new calendar or adjust the Standard calendar and have the new working times and dates update the previously created tasks?

Thanks in advance.

Sunday, November 18, 2012 5:58 PM

Answers

• del_ops,

You can modify the Standard calendar and save it to your Global. It will then be the new "standard" for any new project you create. However, I recommend you create a new calendar based on the standard. Once it is created you can move if from the current file to the Global or any other open file using the Organizer.

To a limited extent you can impose your new calendar on an existing project by changing the current project calendar with your modified version. However, be aware that the new calendar will have no impact on tasks that are already completed or in progress.

I didn't do any testing of the above, so there might be some nuances that I've missed. Best thing to do is to try it and see if it works for you.

John

• Marked as answer by del_ops Sunday, November 18, 2012 6:41 PM
    Sunday, November 18, 2012 6:33 PM

All replies

• del_ops,

You can modify the Standard calendar and save it to your Global. It will then be the new "standard" for any new project you create. However, I recommend you create a new calendar based on the standard. Once it is created you can move if from the current file to the Global or any other open file using the Organizer.

To a limited extent you can impose your new calendar on an existing project by changing the current project calendar with your modified version. However, be aware that the new calendar will have no impact on tasks that are already completed or in progress.

I didn't do any testing of the above, so there might be some nuances that I've missed. Best thing to do is to try it and see if it works for you.

John

• Marked as answer by del_ops Sunday, November 18, 2012 6:41 PM
    Sunday, November 18, 2012 6:33 PM
  • Thank you, John.

It's what I thought but was hoping I was wrong.  The lesson learned is that be sure to have your Project setup before beginning or there will be a lot of hand-work to correct and update.

Again, thank you for your time.

Sunday, November 18, 2012 6:43 PM
  • del_ops,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback. Yes, pre-formatting the project parameters can make life with Project a whole lot easier.

John

Sunday, November 18, 2012 9:06 PM
  • Although it is better to be completely set up, with calendars etc, in advance of any planning or tracking, it often isn't possible or convenient. Nor is it essential, because the adjustment is mostly automatic, and the manual adjustments would just be minor and only a bit inconvenient, but not a big problem.

The durations and predecessors/successors don't change.

If you copy the standard, change the copy and use it as the project calendar (not forgetting to also make it the base calendar for the resources which previously had the standard calendar as base calendar), most tasks will just get adjusted to have scheduled start and finish dates as they should be. The ones that don't get adjusted are those with actual start and finish dates, with task calendars, with resource assignments etc, and there should not be many of those.

Monday, November 19, 2012 12:15 AM