KSourceProperties - PAS Role authentication RRS feed

• Question

•  

We are trying to log a user in to a specific set of MSAS roles in Proclarity Standard. We are currently using the custom authentication (impersonate) to perform our SSO for PAS 6.22.  

'**** Proclarity built-in function to impersonate user.

'**** Parameters: AD UserName, Domain, AD UserPassword

oLookUp.StartImpersonation User, "Domain", Pwd

According to the Developers guide I should be able use the KSourceProperties collection to set the role connection property.

Does anyone have a code sample for setting the KSourceProperties and where the code would go in PAS? I would expect either PSecurityFuncs.asp or PPageFrame.asp. Has anyone tried this before?

Basically, we are trying to have a client user log in to a single cube but depending which role they select we want them to see different objects in the cube (i.e. set of stores). To illustrate what I mean you could compare this to the ‘change user’ function in SQL management studio where you can check specific roles to allow/suppress the data when browsing the cube.

Ex: if role1 and role2 are selected the user will see store 1,2,3,4 and if role3 they will only see store 5,6,7 in the same cube.

Friday, July 25, 2008 6:43 PM

Answers

• Hi Paul.

I did some research into this one, and while using the KSourceProperties could be something you can do in the Professional client, it is not used in the Web Standard.  The reason being, is that when creating a connection to the cube in the Web Standard, we utilize the Connection Pooling aspect of the software, and not the KSource object that is used in Professional. 

There is not a way through the SDK to intercept that connection pooling mechanism and tell it which role to use dynamically.  You can set the 'Roles' property in the registry of the PAS server and that specific Role will get used for every connection, but it would not be dynamic.  I wish I had a better answer for you, but unfortunately the way we connect to the cube in Standard is too different from Professional to facilitate this.

TJ Nelson

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 10:06 PM