none
Should we be using Project Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

It has been suggested that our small company use Project Server, primarily for the timesheet feature.  We have a couple of large projects which are perfect for Project 2010, but I'm not sure if all the other small assignments (.5 - 4 hours) for existing products and websites would be good candidates.  Also, our day to day administrative "tasks" (accounting, support, marketing, etc.) would have to be tracked as well.  

Any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Kate 

Thursday, May 26, 2011 8:54 PM

Answers

• Hi Kate,

Certainly Project Server will meet your requirements including Project and Administrative tasks. As for the sizes of the various assignments, PS is more than happy with assignments of that size. My organisations regularly has schedules within PS of that size for recording time against.

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    • Marked as answer by Kate_P Friday, May 27, 2011 3:27 AM
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 9:27 PM
  • Hi Kate,

i have clients who use Project server for such size projects, or you might call them operational activities, to track men hours logged towards such activities.

in my opinion PS is not tied up with the size of the project, its the requirement which if could be achieved using PS, you would go for it. besides, as Alex already have mentioned, that PS is flexible enugh to accomodate any size of projects. your administrative activities can also be tracked using timesheet feature of PS.

Let us know if you need any help in setting up the feature, good luck.

| Khurram Jamshed | Follow my blog about Enterprise Project Management Solution | http://khurramjamshed.blogspot.com |
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 11:04 PM

All replies

• Hi Kate,

Certainly Project Server will meet your requirements including Project and Administrative tasks. As for the sizes of the various assignments, PS is more than happy with assignments of that size. My organisations regularly has schedules within PS of that size for recording time against.

Alex Burton
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 9:27 PM
  • Hi Kate,

i have clients who use Project server for such size projects, or you might call them operational activities, to track men hours logged towards such activities.

in my opinion PS is not tied up with the size of the project, its the requirement which if could be achieved using PS, you would go for it. besides, as Alex already have mentioned, that PS is flexible enugh to accomodate any size of projects. your administrative activities can also be tracked using timesheet feature of PS.

Let us know if you need any help in setting up the feature, good luck.

| Khurram Jamshed | Follow my blog about Enterprise Project Management Solution | http://khurramjamshed.blogspot.com |
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 11:04 PM
  • Thank you very much for your input Alexander and Khurram!  I find this forum very helpful and very responsive.

Quick question - would I be creating a new project for every small assignment for an "operational activity", should it be setup as a subproject?  At this point I feel comfortable using PS for larger projects but I'm not clear how to record/keep track of smaller assignments.  For example: we maintain a website for a client who requests changes and additions on regular basis, each of these changes can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours and involves from 1 to 3 people (client coordinator, PM, developer); yet another client, we do what could be called maintenance mode which includes tech support, bug fixes, and enhancements. So, having said all this, how do I record small items.  My understanding is that a project must be created and tasks outlined in order to create a timesheet.

Thanks again,

Kate

Friday, May 27, 2011 3:38 AM
  • Hi Kate,

I have worked with customers that have the same requirement before. Typically they tend to create a catchall task or project and simply record time against that project and use the comments to identify the exact breakdown. I have also seen broader tasks being employed quite well, where you would have a task for Analysis, Design, Development, Bugfix etc and staff log their time accordingly.

Alex Burton
    Friday, May 27, 2011 4:09 AM
  • I have a experience that there is no fixed way to accommodate such requirement, it usually works what goes well with the users. One way of tracking such operational activities could be: create one or two project plan, categorized them based on the activities or the projects such as one for the website maintenance and the other for something else, and then based on the work user can create new task from My Task using the same project with the date and work he/she has spent doing that and send it to the PM of these activities.

and if this looks like lot of over-work for the users, then you probably can think of creating administrative activities to capture such operational activities, and user  can simply log their hours against those activities on weekly basis. perhaps OOB of the box reports wont be of too much help in this case and you need to create some custom reports to see the details of such activities.

you can also create a project with these activities and user can simply log hours with actual start/finish date to capture the information.

hope this helps you.

Saturday, May 28, 2011 5:43 AM