none
Some way to find out what dll's are installed with SDK, Visual Studio, and Visual C++? RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know any way to get a list of the dll's that are installed by each version of SDK, Visual Studio, and Visual C++?

It looks to me like the rasman.dll on my wife's computer is linking dynamically to some api-* dll's that are not on in her System32 folder, but which are all in mine. We have identical computers that we bought at the same time, in the same store. The api-* dll's that are in her System32 folder are exactly the ones that are listed for Windows 8.1 in the article for KB2999226, but my System32 folder has dozens of other api-* dll's, including all the ones referenced by rasman.dll. Looking at Programs and Features, I see that the versions of Visual C++ on her computer and mine, are not all the same, so maybe it's one of those that installed those dll's on my computer. Surely there is some way to find out what dll's are installed with each version of SDK, Visual Studio, and Visual C++. If someone can tell me how to do that, then I can find out if one of those will install the dll's referenced by rasman.dll.

If I can't find any better way to install those dll's on my wife's computer, then I might just try copying them from mine to hers.

Saturday, November 24, 2018 12:47 AM

Answers

All replies

• No way to find out exact .dll files that come from SDK, Visual Studio, and Visual C++.

What I can think of is using .dll fixer tool or install all of SDK, VS and VC++ on your wife’s computer. The following two articles can help you.

Determining Which DLLs to Redistribute

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/ide/determining-which-dlls-to-redistribute?view=vs-2017

10 Best Free DLL Fixer Software For Windows To Download 2018

https://blogs.systweak.com/2017/10/10-best-free-dll-fixer-software-for-windows-to-download-2017/

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by jimhabegger Monday, November 26, 2018 2:32 AM
    Monday, November 26, 2018 1:43 AM
  • No way to find out exact .dll files that come from SDK, Visual Studio, and Visual C++.

What I can think of is using .dll fixer tool or install all of SDK, VS and VC++ on your wife’s computer. The following two articles can help you.

Determining Which DLLs to Redistribute

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/ide/determining-which-dlls-to-redistribute?view=vs-2017

10 Best Free DLL Fixer Software For Windows To Download 2018

blogs.systweak.com/2017/10/10-best-free-dll-fixer-software-for-windows-to-download-2017/

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Regards

That's very helpful. I don't think I can hope for any better answer than that. Thank you!
    Monday, November 26, 2018 2:15 AM
  • You are welcome, please mark the useful reply to close this case, this behavior can help other forum users find out effective information easily.

Thanks for understanding and cooperating.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by jimhabegger Monday, November 26, 2018 2:32 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by jimhabegger Monday, November 26, 2018 2:57 AM
    Monday, November 26, 2018 2:29 AM
  • Teemo, I downloaded the Windows 10 SDK, to install it on my computer and see if includes the dlls I'm looking for, but before I installed it, I discovered that my computer already has a \Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10 folder, and that folder has a Tools\bin\i386 folder which contains 15 of the 21 dlls I'm looking for. Those are the same 17 dlls that are in the System32\downlevel folder on both of our computers.

To review my situation, the event log on my wife's computer says that RasMan is failing to start because it can't load one or more communication dll's. Searching through rasman.dll with WordPad, I find the names of 21 api-ms-win-* dlls that are all in my System32 folder, but not in hers. These are *not* api-ms-win-crt-* dlls. They are 17 api-ms-win-core-* dlls, 2 api-ms-win-security-* dlls, and 2 api-ms-win-service-* dlls. Of those 21 api-ms-win-* dlls named in rasman.dll, 15 of them are in the System32\downlevel folder, which is identical on both our computers. The other 6 are not anywhere on her computer at all. That corresponds exactly to the dlls that I found in the Windows Kits\10\Tools\bin\i386 folder on my computer. That Windows 10 SDK folder has the same 17 dlls named in rasman.dll that are in the the System32\downlevel folder, which is the same on both of our computers, and does not have the same 6 dlls that are in my System32 folder, but which are not anywhere on my wife's computer.

Now I'll be trying to find out if there is some other SDK that has those other 6 api-* dlls that are named in rasman.dll, which are in my System32 folder, but not anywhere on my wife's computer. If so, then I will need to know the right way to install those on her computer.

Monday, November 26, 2018 11:22 PM
  • rasman.dll is associated with the Remote Access Connection Manager, which is a system dll file. I check it on my clean install computer which doesn’t have any additional Microsoft tools(SDK, VS, VC++), it still have rasman.dll.

Therefore, before you searching, run sfc /scannow on your wife’s computer, repair system files and components online, this way can save your some times.

Tuesday, November 27, 2018 6:11 AM
  • Teemo, I’ve already run sfc /scannow at least four times. I’ll run it again and record the results. Can you look inside the rasman.dll file on your clean install of Windows 8.1, and see if you find the names below, with exactly the same version numbers? If so, does the System32 folder have those as actual .dll files? My rasman dll has those names inside it, and my System32 folder has all those as actual .dll files. My wife’s rasman. dll is identical to mine, but her System32 folder does not have any of those dlls as actual .dll files api-ms-win-core-delayload-l1-1-1, api-ms-win-core-heap-l1-2-0.dll, api-ms-win-core-libraryloader-l1-2-0.dll, api-ms-win-core-psapi-obsolete-l1-1-0.dll, api-ms-win-security-base-l1-2-0.dll, api-ms-win-service-winsvc-l1-2-0
    Tuesday, November 27, 2018 8:39 AM
  • Teemo, I ran DISM, and fsc /scannow, on my wife's computer again, and her System32 folder still does not have any more dlls than it had before.The only api dlls in her system folder are crt dlls. My System32 folder has all of those, plus dozens of other api dlls, including all of the ones named in rasman.dll. My System was refreshed two weeks ago. Where did it find those other dlls? My System32 folder has all 21 of the api dlls that are named in rasman.dll, which are not in my wife's System32 folder. Some of them are in the System32\downlevel folder on both computers, but there are 6 of them that I can't find anywhere on her computer at all. My System32 folder has all of them. Where did it find them in the last two weeks? Where did my computer find these dlls, in the last two weeks? Do you see them in your clean install of Windows 8.1? If not, where could my computer have found them? I haven't been able to find them in any SDK or C++ Redistributables. According to all the documentation I can find, they are not in the Update for Universal CRT. Where could my computer have found them in the last two weeks?

api-ms-win-core-delayload-l1-1-1, api-ms-win-core-heap-l1-2-0.dll, api-ms-win-core-libraryloader-l1-2-0.dll, api-ms-win-core-psapi-obsolete-l1-1-0.dll, api-ms-win-security-base-l1-2-0.dll, api-ms-win-service-winsvc-l1-2-0

Tuesday, November 27, 2018 11:33 PM
  • This is embarrassing! When I was looking at the System32 folder on my wife's computer, it wasn't showing the hidden files. All the dlls I'm looking for are there, but they're hidden!

Tuesday, November 27, 2018 11:57 PM
  • emmm...it's nothing, i also ignore this point. Obviously you are an experienced engineer, naturally i think you have enabled hidden files view when checking .dll files. Since you find out all things now, it's enough.

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 1:20 AM
  • Teemo, thanks for your encouragement and support. It helped me get to the bottom of the mystery about the dlls.

It doesn't resolve my original problem of rasman failing to start on my wife's computer, but that's for another thread.

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 3:23 AM
  • Teemo, the thread about rasman failing to start on my wife's computer is at https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/08b569fa-c24b-4697-8cf5-afd52b69909a/remote-access-connection-manager-failed-to-start-because-it-could-not-load-one-or-more-communication.
    Thursday, November 29, 2018 2:07 AM