log file of MOSS 2007 aside from /...12/logs RRS feed

• Question

• is there a log file in MOSS 2007 where i can check all activities regarding the website? 12/logs.. is difficult to interpret, i need to know all activities in the website which includes cause of error, services activated etc. thanks
    cal_bonjovi
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 8:24 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You can check the SharePoint logs as you mentioned in 12 folder, or you can use the event viewer to view the event related errors and warnings. Also you can set site level auditing which will log the activities that are done in the site level.

Thanks,
    Chanakya
    • Marked as answer by cal_bonjovi Thursday, June 9, 2011 12:35 AM
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 9:05 AM
  • Two things to consider:

• The SharePoint ULS logs (in the 12/logs directory) are much easier to read if you use the ULSViewer.exe tool to read them - http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/ULSViewer
    • If you want activities in a given site, you can also check your IIS traffic logs (check the IIS properties of the SharePoint site to see where those are stored for the web site) for information about what's going on with the site. Now, you're not going to see any SharePoint-specific data (error messages, etc) there, but you will see what items in the site that users are accessing and what kind of HTTP codes and results they're getting back.

Basically, a lot of troubleshooting for SharePoint in log files involves pulling together data from those ULS logs, the IIS logs, and the Application event logs that Chankaya mentioned above and using it to create a more complete picture of what's going on. Its definitely not easy, but that's pretty much what's available right now. The Diagnostic Logging settings in the Central Admin site will also help you a lot, you can dial up the amount of info that SharePoint writes to those logs through those setting and get a lot more context about what's happening in the farm.

John

MCITP and MCTS: SharePoint, Virtualization, Project Server 2007
    My books on Amazon: The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide and The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    My blog: My Central Admin.
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 1:10 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can check the SharePoint logs as you mentioned in 12 folder, or you can use the event viewer to view the event related errors and warnings. Also you can set site level auditing which will log the activities that are done in the site level.

Thanks,
    Chanakya
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 9:05 AM
  • Two things to consider:

• The SharePoint ULS logs (in the 12/logs directory) are much easier to read if you use the ULSViewer.exe tool to read them - http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/ULSViewer
    • If you want activities in a given site, you can also check your IIS traffic logs (check the IIS properties of the SharePoint site to see where those are stored for the web site) for information about what's going on with the site. Now, you're not going to see any SharePoint-specific data (error messages, etc) there, but you will see what items in the site that users are accessing and what kind of HTTP codes and results they're getting back.

Basically, a lot of troubleshooting for SharePoint in log files involves pulling together data from those ULS logs, the IIS logs, and the Application event logs that Chankaya mentioned above and using it to create a more complete picture of what's going on. Its definitely not easy, but that's pretty much what's available right now. The Diagnostic Logging settings in the Central Admin site will also help you a lot, you can dial up the amount of info that SharePoint writes to those logs through those setting and get a lot more context about what's happening in the farm.

John

MCITP and MCTS: SharePoint, Virtualization, Project Server 2007
    My books on Amazon: The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide and The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    My blog: My Central Admin.
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 1:10 PM
  • thanks so much!
    cal_bonjovi
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 12:35 AM