none
.PDF File extension being stripped from download Internet Explorer (also certain sites not loading in IE but will in Chrome) RRS feed

• Question

• A really weird issue has arisen on a 2012R2 Terminal server.

In IE or Chrome, when a PDF is downloaded, the file extension will be stripped from the name. (.exe and .zip files do not appear to suffer) 

For example items on this page, beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/03452791/filing-history 

Download from the site without the file extension on them and need to have it added manually.

This happens in both Chrome and IE11 but do not appear to happen at our other customers or even in our own office.

Second Issue is related to the same customer, in that on the same terminal server certain sites will not load in IE but will load perfectly in Chrome.

The following page is a PDF as well so it might be a related issue, when trying to load it in IE they get a "This page can't be displayed" This happens with other sites but I do not have a list of them at the moment.

http://goo.gl/fAhGE6 is the shortlink for it. 

The weirder thing is that their other servers have no problem with this site and they all use the same server for DNS as well. 

For opening PDF files we currently have Foxit Reader installed. Which has worked perfect over the past 2 years.

Can anyone think of a setting that might be causing it? 

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 11:17 AM

Answers

• This snip is from opening a new tab then pasting one of the download links into the window.

We are not the company that hosts either webpage. I am just investigating issues that have been reported by one of our customers.

This is the second link, it goes to a click.commercialmarketingemail.allianz.co.uk/... it again is a PDF. 

Tools>Internet Options>Security tab, click "Reset all zones to default" - there are settings for saving unsafe file types and navigation into a zone of lower integrity... (you still did not mention what IE security zones your user is using?)

Advanced tab, uncheck "Do not save encrypted files to disk"

(you did not provide a link to any websites you or your users are having problems with.... assuming it is a secure site/page)

ref: Richard's tips & retweets

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us . If possible include links to any websites you are having problems with your questions.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 3:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

you did not mention which IE version or its emulation mode you are using or which IE security zone the site is mapped to. (File>Properties menu, f12>Emulation tab)

to give a qualified suggestion we would need to see your web page markup to determine how the pdf document is invoked (hyperlink, iframe, object, embed tags)

assuming you are using embedded content (iframe) then the issue may be solved by adding the appropriate sandbox attributes to the iframe element.

To debug web pages...

Internet Options>Advanced tab, check "Always record developer console messages".

load a web page, then f12>Console tab to view the (otherwise) suppressed warnings, scripting error messages and blocked content (tracking protection, activeX filtering).

If you are using a linking service like goog.le then also check for redirects in the networking tab of the dev tool (or fiddler). Outcomes will depend on which IE security zone your site and linked resources map to.

Tools>Manage Addons>Show all addons to determine the status of the Foxit ActiveX addon.

Regards.

Rob^_^

also determine if the IE security zone has Enhanced Protected Mode turned on and that both the x86 and x64 versions of Foxit are installed (Manage Addons).

see http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals/archive/2012/03/23/understanding-ie10-enhanced-protected-mode-network-security-addons-cookies-metro-desktop.aspx

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 10:51 PM
  • This snip is from opening a new tab then pasting one of the download links into the window.

We are not the company that hosts either webpage. I am just investigating issues that have been reported by one of our customers.

This is the second link, it goes to a click.commercialmarketingemail.allianz.co.uk/... it again is a PDF. 

Thursday, November 19, 2015 3:45 PM
  • Hi,

Have you tried the suggestions which IECustomizer has offered to you?

In addition to that, based on my test in our machine, we download the incorrect extension file from the link which you gave me.

The correct extension is ".pdf" but not "-pdf". We suggest you check the extension of resource files that which is stored in the web server.

Good luck to fix it.

Best Regards

Simon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 23, 2015 9:47 AM

Tools>Internet Options>Security tab, click "Reset all zones to default" - there are settings for saving unsafe file types and navigation into a zone of lower integrity... (you still did not mention what IE security zones your user is using?)

Advanced tab, uncheck "Do not save encrypted files to disk"

(you did not provide a link to any websites you or your users are having problems with.... assuming it is a secure site/page)

ref: Richard's tips & retweets

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us . If possible include links to any websites you are having problems with your questions.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 3:45 AM
  • Cheers Rob, your assistance has been brilliant. It helped me reset and think about it a bit more clearly.

It appears the issue with the page time out is related to the users being on an RDS server and some users not having Foxit set as the default correctly. Resetting the default app within Foxit (as the version installed doesn't have a plugin) itself appears to have fixed that first issue.

As the other issue with the .pdf being removed has been replicated elsewhere I can only assume it is a website problem, which is out of our control.

Thanks once again!

• Marked as answer by Dave-Hall Monday, January 18, 2016 2:26 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Dave-Hall Friday, October 4, 2019 3:53 PM
    Thursday, December 10, 2015 12:44 PM
  • Thank you.  I'll take a bow.

Regards,

Dick

Thursday, December 10, 2015 6:38 PM
  • ref: Richard's tips & retweets

Rob^_^

IECustomizer/Rob, what is the reason to link to Fremy's twitter like this? Is it an obscure obscenity toward Fremy?

Derosnec/Thumbdown/Yo Mama thinks so. But I really don't see why it's there. Fremy is a valuable member of the IE community and a Microsoft employee working on IE. Can we remove the link? Or was it an attempt to actually point to a reference? 

Thank you!

Ed Price, Azure & Power BI Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Monday, January 11, 2016 6:48 PM
    Owner

Regards,

Dick

Derosnec, what do you mean?

Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure & Power BI Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Monday, January 11, 2016 6:49 PM
    Owner
  • yomammy....pointless richard.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Well Ed.  Nearly a year has elapsed since IECustomizer ignored your post here, and his taunting dick/richard epithets persist.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/caf01332-363c-4153-8d1c-634bd8e04013/notdisplaying-svg-in-ie-11-or-edge#6a8f8ce1-5068-4f39-b7b5-7fe71e1cfcee

Sunday, November 13, 2016 7:31 PM

Regards,

Dick

what do you mean?

Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure & Power BI Customer Program Manager

There once was a post here that discussed a specific server response header, and alternatively, a specific missing registry entry.  That post was tested with Fiddler, a server, and with every version IE6-IE11.  It was the actual answer to this thread.

Immediately following that post, IECustomizer posted that resentful "Richard/FremyCompany" sneer which remains to this day.  Vinod Ramakrishna MSCS deleted the actual answer that was here.  Twice.

Does this answer your question, Ed?

Here is a screenshot taken just now from Server 2012R2.  It shows IE11 opened to the site stated in the OP.  https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/03452791/filing-history.  On the right, a link is highlighted which has been right-clicked, to download a pdf file.  The SaveAs dialog is thus opened, and it is supplying the filename "application-pdf" without any .pdf extension.

That is exactly the problem stated in the OP.

There is no answer in this thread to explain it or solve it.

I thought Dave-Hall was being sarcastic when he gratuitously thanked IECustomizer, because those posts marked "answer" seem to be so completely oblivious to the details which Dave provided.

Dave remarked brilliant and then marked his own post answer.

Do you agree, Ed?  A completely sarcastic gratuitous thank-you.

https://uzaglg-ch3301.files.1drv.com/y3m6xiBF9_g2v-csReZGL_kRrPIb5BnL0dYK62DwGoYCCkeLM4aJtIv3zZtEPq650JmU2RZI4w0LC3fex4PXnLrleGdz6q9-uzAMT8ioNjFpuEzLQb-6Xj6oGyfEQpc4aMXVKk7297R2wU9UHHvzzVAlzvPXKJYi9bdScrvfnbu5S8/beta-companieshouse-gov-uk--03452791--filing-history.png

Sunday, November 13, 2016 8:58 PM
  • Hi Ed,

Please ping me.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Monday, November 14, 2016 4:09 AM