Socket forwarding Windows 7 64-bit RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have UAG Update2 installed in the system.

I have created a General client server application to ip 10.10.10.10 and port 3000 as en example. I have one client application and telnet application using this connection.

Both works correctly with WinXP and Win7 32-bit. On Windows 7 64-bit only the client application works, but NOT telnet.

Any tips how to troubleshoot this? No traffic from telnet is visible in TMG logs on UAG server.

I know that I could use SSTP connection as prerequisite application, but that is not an option in this case, since there are only partners that are using this application and own employees are using SSTP. I know that there is a possibility to limit IP addresses based on user groups, but then I can allow access only to the Internal networks, not to Internet. By doing this all employees will lost their internet connection when using SSTP, since there are no split tunneling option available for that.

So I would need to get this SSL tunneling from client (W7 64-bit) to get it to work :)

Any tips or tricks are highly appreciated :)

BR, TommiK

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 7:36 AM

Answers

• Hi Tommi

So I would need to get this SSL tunneling from client (W7 64-bit) to get it to work :)

BR, TommiK

Tip: The application needs to be a WOW64 application in order for it to be tunneled via UAG's Socket Forwarding tunnel.

Trick:  You need the 32-bit version of Telnet on your W7 64-bit client machine. You could, for example, copy telnet.exe from a W7 32-bit machine, and place it in the \Windows\SysWOW64 folder on your W7 64-bit machine.

Tip: On a 64-bit machine you can verify in Task Manager that you are using the 32-bit version of a client application. You do this by looking at the Image Name column in the Processes tab. 32-bit apps would be displayed with a *32 suffix, for example: iexplore *32

HTH,

-Ran
    • Marked as answer by Tommi K Wednesday, November 17, 2010 9:11 AM
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 8:58 AM

All replies

• Hi Tommi

BR, TommiK

Tip: The application needs to be a WOW64 application in order for it to be tunneled via UAG's Socket Forwarding tunnel.

Trick:  You need the 32-bit version of Telnet on your W7 64-bit client machine. You could, for example, copy telnet.exe from a W7 32-bit machine, and place it in the \Windows\SysWOW64 folder on your W7 64-bit machine.

Tip: On a 64-bit machine you can verify in Task Manager that you are using the 32-bit version of a client application. You do this by looking at the Image Name column in the Processes tab. 32-bit apps would be displayed with a *32 suffix, for example: iexplore *32

HTH,

-Ran
    • Marked as answer by Tommi K Wednesday, November 17, 2010 9:11 AM
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 8:58 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for this :) I guess that this is the issue. Do you know if this is documented or not anywhere?

BR, TommiK

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 9:11 AM
  • Hi Amigo. One of the sites you can find it is the download page. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=9dcccebc-accb-4229-901a-792cc66791de

Client Components—The Forefront UAG SSL Application Tunneling component is now supported on 64-bit Windows 7 operating systems for 32-bit applications.

Also in many blogs of Microsoft and friends :)

// Raúl - I love this game
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 9:19 AM