USB Mass Storage Device disappear RRS feed

• Question

• I have a computer that is installed Win7 pro SP1, It unable to recognized USB flash recently (all USB ports).
    I found the USB keyboard and mouse are work fine after testing (all USB ports) , but USB flash & card reader & hard disk & DVD rewritable drive are all unable to recognized.

Take these USB devices that unable to recognized to another computer to test and result is: they are all fine.

These USB devices that unable to recognized will show under Unknown Device in Device Manager,
    but I found USB Mass Storage Device will not show under USB in Device Manager.

I once tried the following solution, but all unable to solve this problem.  
    1. Remove Unknown Device in the Device Manager then search again. It's invalid.
    2. Remove all USB2 Enhanced Host Controller under USB in the Device Manager then restart. it's invalid.
    3. I once suspected USB Mass Storage Device driver was crash. so I copy windows\inf\usbstor.inf & usbstor.pnf and windows\system32\drivers\usbstor.sys from aother computer (same OS) into to this computer. It's invalid.
    4. I suspect it's USB Mass Storage Device set to deny access. Check privilege of windows\inf\usbstor.inf & usbstor.pnf, but they have not been changed.
    5. same suspect USB Mass Storage Device set to deny access. Check Removable disks: deny execute access & deny read access & deny write access in Group Policy Editor, but they are not configured.
    6. same suspect USB Mass Storage Device set to deny access. Check Start\Dword is 3 in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\services\USBSTOR, it has not been changed.
    7. delete UpperFilters under USB in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\ then restart. it's invalid.

Because I didn't set the system restore point, so can not used it to recovery.
    Does anyone have other idea for fixed it ? Thanks !
    Wednesday, November 11, 2015 9:42 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for you reply.

Do you mean you have tried to install operating system on another hard disk and it works fine? If it does, it is obvious the hard disk issue. Please contact the manufacturer for further help.

Wish you have a nice day.

Best Regards

Simon 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 16, 2015 1:35 AM

All replies

• Latest drivers from the motherboard / system manufacturer? 

Also has the USB ports ever worked for anything other than keyboards and mice? 

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 1:20 PM
  • There are two articles with some good information and possible fixes for you:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Tips-for-solving-problems-with-USB-devices

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/mats/hardware_device_problems

and

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/usb-device-not-recognized/

please check the method 9 in above link

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 1:26 PM
  • Hi,

Have you tried to run the device troubleshooter to fix it? If you haven't, please go to "Control Panel" > "Troubleshooting" > "Hardware and Sound" > "Hardware and Devices".

If it doesn't help, please find your error code in Device Manager and follow the link below to fix according to the error code.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771355(v=ws.10).aspx

Please kindly tell us if it works.

Best Regards

Simon 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Charles_Wang_ Monday, November 23, 2015 1:49 AM
    Thursday, November 12, 2015 5:39 AM
  • I have ever tried using another hard disk to install same OS on the same platform but there is no problem happen, so I think the Hardware is OK.
    Monday, November 16, 2015 12:59 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for you reply.

Do you mean you have tried to install operating system on another hard disk and it works fine? If it does, it is obvious the hard disk issue. Please contact the manufacturer for further help.

Wish you have a nice day.

Best Regards

Simon 

Monday, November 16, 2015 1:35 AM