none
SMB 3.1.1 connection slow for file shares on Server 2019 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a problem with shares on file server windows 2019.

When i open a shared file and make changes, the process of saving takes too long even some times "Not Responding".

I manage to find out that the problem is when i make SMB connection to the file server with "Dialect" 3.1.1.

When i disable SMB2 on the file server and the connection to the file server is SMB1 ("Dialect" 1.5) i have no issues.

But the problem is that Win10 and newer versions of server do not have enabled SMB1 by default.

BR,

Aleksandar

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 12:26 PM

All replies

• Hi Aleksandar,

According to your description, I think the problem is most likely caused by the computer using the SMB1.0 protocol for the shared file.

>When i disable SMB2 on the file server and the connection to the file server is SMB1 ("Dialect" 1.5) i have no issues.

Have you checked the 'SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support' option in Windows 10?

If not, you can set it up by following these steps first:

1. Press win + X or right-click on the start menu and select ‘Control Panel’ from the menu that appears.
    2. Find ‘Programs’ and click.
    3. Select ‘Turn Windows features on or off’.
    4. Make sure ‘SMB1.0 / CIFS Client’ is checked, and then restart the computer to take effect.

>But the problem is that Win10 and newer versions of server do not have enabled SMB1 by default.

Did you mean that you are worried about the impact of enabling the SMB1.0 protocol in windows 10?

Please feel free to let me know if my understanding is wrong.

Hope this can help you, if you have anything unclear, please let me know.

Have a nice day!

Allan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 16, 2020 6:32 AM
  • Hi Allan,

The problem is when the shared files are accessed with SMB 3.1.1 the changing process or saving process takes too long even Not Responding, and after that finishes.

So i have to enable SMB1 on Windows 10 like a workaround.

I think the workaround is not the solution for the problem. I need to know what is causing the issues when shared file is accessed using SMB 3.1.1.

BR,

Aleksandar 

Friday, January 17, 2020 11:57 AM
  • Hi,

If we want to find out the root cause, we need to analyze the log. Unfortunately, from forum support level, analysis of packet capture is beyond our scope.

So if the issue is urgent, I suggest you open a case with Microsoft, more in-depth investigation can be done so that you would get a more satisfying explanation and solution to this issue.

Here is the link:https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/customer-service-phone-numbers

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Have a nice day!

Allan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 20, 2020 9:29 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking the current situation of your problem.

Was your issue resolved?

Best regards,

Allan

Thursday, January 23, 2020 7:59 AM
  • Hi,

The issue is not resolved.

For now we are going with the workaround.

BR,

Aleksandar

Tuesday, January 28, 2020 3:09 PM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we will propose it as ‘Answered’ as the information provided should be helpful.

If you need further help, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

Best regards,

Allan

Wednesday, February 12, 2020 3:01 AM