none
Task costs change when actual work entered in Task Usage view RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone!

Please see the picture below.

If I press F9, then Cost is not recalculated. The only way when it is recalculated, is when I manually go to Units column and press F2 on "18 pcs." and then just click on OK and then the correct value Ls 1551.24 is shown.

Question: The F2 solution is not a solution when you have hundreds of tasks. How to get MSP to show correct values. Save and close and open does not help.

I'm using: Microsoft Office project 2007 (12.0.6423.1000) SP2 MSO (12.0.6562.5003)

Kind regards!

Monday, October 17, 2011 9:35 AM

Answers

• Does setting the task as Fixed Duration solve your problem?  Again, if using solely material resources, I think fixed duration makes a lot of sense.  I'm less enthusiastic as a blanket statement if using work resources.

Julie

• Marked as answer by R-aivis Thursday, October 20, 2011 8:14 AM
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 1:53 PM

All replies

• Ismet, you have 6557 in version number, but I have 6562 (SP2 MSO (12.0.6562.5003)) service pack. I did not find any later pack.
    Monday, October 17, 2011 12:41 PM
  • Hello Raivis,

I deleted my original post to double check the update information. It is 6423 in your version but I see 6557 in my version.

Regarding your question; if it is an issue related to the material resources, updates may not fix it.

Regards. --Ismet
    Monday, October 17, 2011 1:02 PM
  • Hi, Ismet!

The base version of my installation is 12.0.6423.1000, but I have SP2 with the version 12.0.6562.5003 doesn't it mean that I have later SP?

Monday, October 17, 2011 1:16 PM
  • Hi R-aivis,

Welcome to this Microsoft Project newsgroup :-)

Your picture won't open as it hasn't a suffix.

However, we need to discover whether your project is at fault, whether  it is Project at fault, or whether it's your PC.  Does the symptom occur with other projects on this PC?  Does it occur with this project on other  PCs? Does it occur with other projects on other PCs?

FAQs, companion products and other useful Project information can be  seen at this web address: <http://www.mvps.org/project/>

Hope this helps - please let us know how you get on :-))

Mike Glen
    MS Project MVP

Monday, October 17, 2011 1:24 PM
  • Project > 12.0.6423.1000 SP2

Office    > 12.0.6562.5003

Hotfix of April 26th 2011 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2534046) is the last one that I've applied to Project 2007. Pls check here at: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/ee748587

Regards. --Ismet

Monday, October 17, 2011 1:29 PM
  • Sorry, I can't read the screen -- but is your resource a material resource?  Are you entering actual material usage or just entering Actual Work for Work resources?

If you have both work and material resources, you must record actuals for both resources in order to get the value for material usage to calculate. 

Julie

Monday, October 17, 2011 5:48 PM
  • Hello Raivis,

It is only possible to see the snapshot image by copying into the clipboard and pasting into a picture viewer. Anyway, let me repeat your steps in the schedule first:
    - Define an 8-day duration task.
    - Assign 18 units of a material resource with a fixed consumption rate at $86.18 per unit (or Ls as in the image) to the task. Project distributes the units evenly as 2.25 units per day.

- Then track material resource use by inputting into assignment-timephased Actual Work field in Task Usage view.

- You input values greater than 2.25 or less than 2.25 as Actual Work

IMO, Project recalculates the distribution of the remaining units (changes the contour), recalculates the duration and the cost; the cost value 1551.24 changes as a result of the rounding of the numbers. 

As an alternative way of tracking the use of material resource, I would suggest to use Actual Work field in the Work table on the left part or in the Tracking tab of Assignment Information dialog box.

Let's wait for Julie's and Mike's comments as they can suggest a better technique to track material resource usage.

Image not resized is here at: http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/9370/raivisschedule.jpg

Regards. --Ismet

Monday, October 17, 2011 8:15 PM
  • Hello colleagues!

To see bigger picture in the first post just right click it and open in new tab. Mike, I could not find where I can add suffix to it so it would open immediately when clicked on.

I made a new simple file and the same thing happens as in the real project file. I also opened it with MSP 2010 version, and the same problem.

Here is the file: www.projekts.lv/msp/2011.10.17_WhenActualWorkEnteredCostChanges2.mpp

In this simple file I enter actual material in resource form. 

Raivis

Monday, October 17, 2011 8:20 PM
  • Hello Ismet,

Sorry about the picture, but I really could not wind a way how to enlarge in this website. The only way is to right click it and chose open in new tab (at least in Chrome browser).

I also start to think that this is a rounding error, because it works fine if material cost has no decimals (etc. cents). Actual work field is fine for overview, but the fact remains that wrong cost is calculated when actual material amount is entered. I hope there is a workaround. 

Monday, October 17, 2011 8:38 PM
  • Dear Julie,

I did not quite understand what you meant with "If you have both work and material resources, you must record actuals for both resources in order to get the value for material usage to calculate.".

I added work resource to the task (see the picture below), and I have entered 3h for actual work resource which does not affect Material resource cost and IMO it should not affect it. Where you speaking about some total resource cost field?

Monday, October 17, 2011 8:57 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry, but I'm completely befuddled now.  I thought the initial issue is you were NOT seeing costs get calculated when you entered actual work for the material resource. 

I don't see this when I open your file.  I enter actual work for the material resource and the cost for the material resource cost is calculated.

If the issue is costs changing I believe this is another rounding issue.  If you look at the distribution over the 8 days, it is working at a rate of 2.25 units per day.

2.25 units per day @86.18 = 193.905 which if you look at costs per day Project rounds to 193.91.

193.91*8 = 1551.28

The baseline cost is 1551.24.

As you enter the 1 unit per day project is redistributing the remaining units and changing task duration.  I don't think project should be changing duration-- so if you want the cost to be calculated based solely on the original 18 units and the original duration- set the task type as fixed duration and you will see the units get redistributed but duration not change.  In my opinion material resources should not be used in the units/work/duration math and setting as fixed duration makes much more sense.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Monday, October 17, 2011 9:25 PM
  • Hello Raivis,

How is your progress so far ? If you have further questions pls post here or you can email me at ikocaman.pm[at]gmail.com.

Regards. --Ismet
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 3:54 PM
  • Hi Julie!

The issue is cost changing. Your explanation makes it clear about how this cost change develops. 

I think that it would be smarter to program that costs are calculated units * standard rate instead of sum of all costs per day, in this case the rounding error would not appear. Colleagues, what is your opinion?

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 8:52 AM
  • Hi Ismet!

Thank you for your kind help! I' m still at the testing process.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 9:13 AM
  • Does setting the task as Fixed Duration solve your problem?  Again, if using solely material resources, I think fixed duration makes a lot of sense.  I'm less enthusiastic as a blanket statement if using work resources.

Julie

• Marked as answer by R-aivis Thursday, October 20, 2011 8:14 AM
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 1:53 PM
  • Hi!

I have tested with Fixed duration and surprisingly Cost value remains 1551.24 no matter how I enter the Actual Work in the Duration time period which is surprisingly good! I'm happy with this result, now I'll move forward to see what happens with work resources.

Thank you Julie!

Kind regards,

Raivis

Thursday, October 20, 2011 8:14 AM
  • What do you suggest if Task has both Material resource and Work resource?
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 8:26 AM