none
DPM 2012 - Single tape drive - Daily onsite, monthly offsite RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to configure DPM 2012 for the following:

• Daily backups to disk (onsite)
    • Monthly backups to tape (to be sent offsite) for retention for 6 months

I have a single tape drive not a library, and assumed I could do this by setting a short term goal of every 24 hours, and a long term goal of 1 month, leading DPM to backup to disk every day then once a month copy that backup to tape.

However, no matter how I jiggle these settings around, I can't get rid of the line "Please ensure that there are a minimum of two tape drives or two tape libraries for copy backups" from the "select library and tape details" setting tab.

I'm not trying to get DPM to create a copy from tape, should I ignore this warning or have I missed something in the way I'm trying to configure things?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 5:20 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Using your configuration, you do not need more than one tape drive.  DPM will effectively make the long term backup from the last disk based recovery point.  You can make a custom job filter to view scheduled tape backups for the next 7 days and confirm the job type is "tape backup" and not "dataset copy".

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 6:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Using your configuration, you do not need more than one tape drive.  DPM will effectively make the long term backup from the last disk based recovery point.  You can make a custom job filter to view scheduled tape backups for the next 7 days and confirm the job type is "tape backup" and not "dataset copy".

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 6:00 PM
  • Thanks for your quick answer Mike. I'll leave things as they are in that case, the "Please ensure that there are a minimum of two tape drives or two tape libraries for copy backups" message confused me, but I assume this is always displayed even if 2 drives aren't required for the job.
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 9:07 AM