Vista Upgrade reinstall problem RRS feed

• Question

• After upgrading a client's Dell desktop to Vista Business from XP, I experienced an increasing number of errors, eventually turning into a complete lock-up at the opening Vista screen. Disk diagnostic software showed 5 block read and verify errors. But how to recover either on this disk or on a new one? Tried the Vista startup repair function on the disk and it reported no errors. There apparently is no OS file refresh function in Vista, and trying to reinstall by booting from the Vista disk resulted in a message telling me to reinstall it from the OS! which of course is impossible since the OS is not functional. Is there any way to reinstall Vista without first installing on old OS?

Thursday, January 3, 2008 10:31 PM

Answers

• Hi,

First, I want to comfirm is it the Windows Vista upgrade version or full version you use? If former, please insert Windows XP CD and try to repair Windows XP from boot start. Then, try to upgrade to Windows Vista again to see if it works. If later, we strongly recommend intall Windows Vista with a clean install instead of upgrading to aviod potential damage. In the meantime, if you need to backup, please try to restore Windows XP to backup and then reinstall Windows Vista with a clean install.

Hope it helps.

Monday, January 7, 2008 8:22 AM