none
Issues with shared resource pool RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Hopefully someone can help with this issue I am having with Project.

The system has been set up to use a shared resource pool with several sharer files linked to that resource pool.  The resource pool file is then used to run reports.

•        Everything was working OK on Project 2007 Standard but someone thought an update would be a good idea.
    •        Project was upgraded to Project 2013 but the reports required were no longer available to run.
    •        Project was then downgraded to project 2010 as the reports were still available on this version.
    •        An issue then arose with the links to the shared resource pool.

When changes are made to one of the sharer files and then saved, that files data often disappears from the                              shared resource pool, this was not checked on 2013 as the mssing reports were noticed first.

•        Project was downgraded again to Project 2007 Pro which did not resolve the issue.
    •        Project was downgraded again to Project 2007 Standard which did not resolve the issue.
    •        Files were restored from backup which did not resolve the issue.
    •        Another machine with Project 2007 Standard was then used with restored data untouched by the other machine and the same issue has arisen.

Hopefully I have used all the correct terms etc...  any more info required please let me know.

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 4:00 PM

Answers

• Buster1975,

Resource pool/sharer files are a linked structure and unfortunately prone to corruption. The basic rules are, never rename, move, overwrite or save off any of the files to another location. Also, all files should reside in a single directory on a local drive and not be operated over a network.

Unfortunately you have compounded the issue by switching back and forth between several versions of Project. If you really need the built-in reports that were deleted when Project 2013 was released I suggest you stick with Project 2010 as it is more stable than Project 2007 and has the later file format structure of current versions. Just make sure it is fully updated (14.0.7176.5000). However, if you really want to go with Project 2013, many of the deleted reports can be replicated with a custom view and filters.

Now with respect to your main issue. I suggest you unlink each sharer file from the resource pool. Then delete the resource pool. Save each sharer file as XML and then re-open the XML files in Project. This often, but not always, clears corruption but you will lose any custom formatting. Once all the sharer files have been "cleaned", open a new blank Project file and share resources with it from each sharer file. That should give you a new clean structure.

Adhere to the rules above and stick with one version of Project.

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by Buster1975 Friday, June 23, 2017 8:35 AM
    Wednesday, June 21, 2017 4:42 PM

All replies

• Buster1975,

Resource pool/sharer files are a linked structure and unfortunately prone to corruption. The basic rules are, never rename, move, overwrite or save off any of the files to another location. Also, all files should reside in a single directory on a local drive and not be operated over a network.

Unfortunately you have compounded the issue by switching back and forth between several versions of Project. If you really need the built-in reports that were deleted when Project 2013 was released I suggest you stick with Project 2010 as it is more stable than Project 2007 and has the later file format structure of current versions. Just make sure it is fully updated (14.0.7176.5000). However, if you really want to go with Project 2013, many of the deleted reports can be replicated with a custom view and filters.

Now with respect to your main issue. I suggest you unlink each sharer file from the resource pool. Then delete the resource pool. Save each sharer file as XML and then re-open the XML files in Project. This often, but not always, clears corruption but you will lose any custom formatting. Once all the sharer files have been "cleaned", open a new blank Project file and share resources with it from each sharer file. That should give you a new clean structure.

Adhere to the rules above and stick with one version of Project.

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by Buster1975 Friday, June 23, 2017 8:35 AM
    Wednesday, June 21, 2017 4:42 PM
  • Not only a quick response but exactly what I needed as well.

Thanks again

Friday, June 23, 2017 8:38 AM
  • Buster1975,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Friday, June 23, 2017 1:09 PM