none
Powershell IDE - Syntax checking, refactoring, ...? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm now using powershell for a while. And I like the extending of the old batch.
    But I'missing a good IDE for using the power of the powershell.
    For C# I have Visual Studio - but nothing for powershell.
    I want Syntax-Highlighting, Syntax-Cheking (is something missing?), auto completion (also extern Libraries)
    Support for refactoring and debugging, also It should help me quickly get to the documentation of a command/-let
    (ISE does not have them or are they somewhere hidden?)

Nothing aut there having all this features?
    Sunday, February 23, 2014 12:36 PM

Answers

All replies

• There are many things withal of those features and more.

http://sapien.com/software/powershell_studio

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sunday, February 23, 2014 1:40 PM
  • Try the PowerShell ISE.

Other than that, a list of stuff you want in a PowerShell IDE isn't a scripting question, is it?

Bill

Sunday, February 23, 2014 7:16 PM
  • If you're using the PowerShell 2.0 ISE, it's kind of crappy. Upgrade to 3.0 or later and you'll be pleasantly surprised. To get help on a cmelet, just press F1 when the cursor is anywhere within that command in the editor or console pane. Syntax hightlighting (including errors) is automatic.

I'm not sure what you mean by wanting "refactoring" as a feature in the IDE.  Are you referring to something like ReSharper that analyzes code for you and makes improvements?  I'm not aware of anything quite that full-featured for PowerShell, but there is a module called ScriptCop that gives some of those benefits.

I haven't tried the Sapien products, but I've heard good things about them as well.

Sunday, February 23, 2014 8:11 PM
  • Refactoring is a technical term coined to denote methods used to restructure code.  It uses things like "case folding" to reduce the complexity of code.  Refactoring is part of Visual Studio since 2003.  It is useful at restructuring code.

I tend to do step wise refactoring as a design evolves and have seldom used VS Refactoring.

"ReSharper" does refactoring amongst other things.

As far as I can tell there are no refactoring tools for an scripting languages.  They do not really make much sense due to the ad-hoc nature of scripting.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sunday, February 23, 2014 9:24 PM