App-V 5.0 Streaming to clients from local servers RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, we are moving over to App-V 5.0. One of the things I just dont uncersatnd is how the applications are streamed to the Clients at all the sites. Each of our sites have many clients and a server on site. I want to be able to stream from the local server, but each server on the site is a Domain Controller. How do I allow streaming from the local server, so it does not have to pull from the data center. I can imaggine 100 people opening Quickbooks at the same time. or Office. This would kill the internet. I hope I am just missing something simple.

Thank you!

Paul

Duramaxster

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 10:16 PM

Answers

• See the PackageSourceRoot property on the client to control where packages are sourced from: About Client Configuration Settings.

With the native infrastructure, there are a few ways that you could provide packages to clients closer to their location:

• Provide Publishing Servers in the branch offices, and replicate the Content share via DFS-R.
    • Leave the Publishing Servers in the data centre and use PackageSourceRoot to pull packages from a local share (replicated with DFS-R)
    • Leaving everything in the data centre and use BranchCache to cache packages once the first client has downloaded the package

It's not that much different from the 4.x days.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

• Proposed as answer by znack Monday, March 18, 2013 8:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, April 13, 2013 11:12 AM
    Wednesday, March 6, 2013 10:47 PM
  • There shouldn't be a sharing conflict between v4.6 and v5 packages.

Just make sure that the sub folder structure specified during package import (into the Management console) is the same as underneath of virtualapps$ (esp. that there no additional subfolders involved).

Having read permissions for everyone on the sharing level is one piece, but your client computers also need read permissions on the NTFS level (you'd make sure that is the case as well)

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |  Blog kirxblog   |  Web kirx.org

• Proposed as answer by znack Monday, March 18, 2013 8:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, April 13, 2013 11:14 AM
    Thursday, March 14, 2013 12:12 PM

All replies

• See the PackageSourceRoot property on the client to control where packages are sourced from: About Client Configuration Settings.

With the native infrastructure, there are a few ways that you could provide packages to clients closer to their location:

• Provide Publishing Servers in the branch offices, and replicate the Content share via DFS-R.
    • Leave the Publishing Servers in the data centre and use PackageSourceRoot to pull packages from a local share (replicated with DFS-R)
    • Leaving everything in the data centre and use BranchCache to cache packages once the first client has downloaded the package

It's not that much different from the 4.x days.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

• Proposed as answer by znack Monday, March 18, 2013 8:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, April 13, 2013 11:12 AM
    Wednesday, March 6, 2013 10:47 PM
  • If your sites are that large, don't you have a 2nd server (apart from the Domain Controller)?

To precise this a little: I presume that Aaron means "Streaming' or "Download" rather than 'Publishing Server' in the above reply. The Publishing Server only delivers XML data ('application list') to the client, but not the actual 'bits'. However both features should be 'close' to the client.

Except for the 2nd option, you could apply any of Aaron's recommendations on a DC as well (but you can't install the App-V Publishing Server role onto it) - But I strictly do not recommend this!

I mean, it's a Domain Controller, right? You should not allow 'everybody' access to file or web share resources beyond the AD communication. And you should not add further roles and features to such a machine. I understand the limitation for small sites when it comes to the amount of server machines there, but a DC is a DC is a DC and shouldn't be something else.

Falko

Thursday, March 7, 2013 7:19 AM
  • Thank you for the reply. a few more questions.

So we have a Server on site: a DC, with App-v 4.6 Streaming server installed. I have copied the virtual apps to the local server share for now manually,DFS-R will come later

What do I need to do/add to the server, to enable the clients to access the \\SERVERNAME\Virtualapps$
    Do I have to set the server up as a Web Server? IIS?
    If so, is there clear documentation, other than the general documentation link (too hard for me to find what I need)

Aaron, on the client you mentioned that I need to set the PackageSourceRoot to the local share.
    What is the Value I would put in there?
    What would be an example command?

Kirk, the DC is basically just a file server on the site. Option 2 seems most logical for us. When I say large site, I am refering to 50 to 100 PC's at most, large for us :-)

Thank you!

Paul

Duramaxster

Thursday, March 7, 2013 4:36 PM
  • Assuming that packages are stored under \\SERVERNAME\Virtualapps$, enter \\SERVERNAME\Virtualapps$ as the value for PackageSourceRoot. You can set this via the Group Policy administrative template provided for App-V 5.

You could setup the DC with IIS; however this is not recommended. If a DC is all that you have in that remote office, then SMB streaming woud be your best bet.

Thursday, March 7, 2013 6:14 PM
  • Thank you Aaron, I tried to run the following, but it says its not a recognized command in PowerShell

Set-PackageSourceRoot \\Servername\Virtualapps$

Paul

Duramaxster

Thursday, March 7, 2013 7:14 PM
  • I manually entered into the registry and It sas there is a network error

Paul

Duramaxster

Thursday, March 7, 2013 7:52 PM
  • THere must be something I am doing wrong here. At this point I can enter this for each application in Powershell.

Add-AppvClientPackage "\\LocalServer\VirtualApps$\iTunes 11.appv"
    Add-AppvClientPackage "\\LocalServer\VirtualApps$\e-Copy Pro 2012.appv"
    etc.

And it will pull from the local server at the site, I assume this to be true, becasue I can change the name at the datacenter of those files and it will still run from the client.

Now, I would like to load the app for offliine use, would this be the "SharedContentStoreMode" registry

Thank you
    Paul

Duramaxster

Thursday, March 7, 2013 10:10 PM
  • Hello,

SharedContentStoreMode is the opposite of offline capabilities. Have you read any of the documentation posted on TechNet?

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Friday, March 8, 2013 8:10 AM
  • Znack, thank you.. Got it!! Now that I am using Group Policy, would there be a reason why the ADMX template for App-V 5.0 would not apply to the clients. GP modeling shows that it is suppose to be applied. I am trying to add the local server to the virtual apps directory. I even tried to change anything within the App-V template and nothing is changing on the clients, reboots, GPUpdates, nothing works. I added a registry to the same GPO and it does apply to the client. Any thoughts on that?

Thank you!
    Paul

Duramaxster

Also, even if I manually edit the registry HKLM\Software\Microsoft\AppV\Client\Streaming\PackageSourceRoot: \\Servername\VirtualApps$

I get an error and the package will not load

Paul

Friday, March 8, 2013 5:07 PM
  • Hello,

No, there is no reason why the ADMX template for App-V 5.0 would not apply to the clients.

Saturday, March 9, 2013 9:30 AM
  • Znack, I know I am off subject with this, but could you look at this thread.

Group Policy ADMX template for App-V 5.0 not applying

Back on the original question, is there a way to have the clients automatically cache all apps available to them?

The applications are now on the local server at the site, but when I enter: \\servername\virtualapps$ (which is accessible to everyone) into the registry. I get a network error. Could this also be due to the fact that this is the same folder path shared by 4.6 virtual apps?

Thank you
    Paul

Duramaxster

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 2:53 PM
  • Hello,
    Autoload is part of the client configuration -as documented on TechNet,

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj687745.aspx

I don't know, it depends on what the error message means regarding your PackageSource. we would need a lot more detail of whats happening and what you have done

Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:54 AM
  • There shouldn't be a sharing conflict between v4.6 and v5 packages.

Just make sure that the sub folder structure specified during package import (into the Management console) is the same as underneath of virtualapps$ (esp. that there no additional subfolders involved).

Having read permissions for everyone on the sharing level is one piece, but your client computers also need read permissions on the NTFS level (you'd make sure that is the case as well)

Falko

• Proposed as answer by znack Monday, March 18, 2013 8:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, April 13, 2013 11:14 AM
    Thursday, March 14, 2013 12:12 PM