Problems with updating of cross-references to bookmark RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I have created a cross-reference from bookmarks where the bookmark is a control (RICH TEXT and date pickers) in a document I'm using as a template but saved as plain wordfile. It had previously worked fine but now will not update the cross-reference as it should. I have tried to remove all bookmarks, cross-references, and made them from the beginning of the document, but it still does not work. I have also done the same thing in a new Word file but it didn´t work.

What I have to do is to first write something in the control I inserted in the document and insert a new cross reference or update existing ones by selecting them, right click, select "edit field ' and then just hit ok – otherwise it does not work. I'm using WORD 2010.

Anybody have tips on the solution?

Thursday, January 15, 2015 10:23 AM

Answers

• I have just been stepping forward through Office updates since around SP2 (version 14.0.7128.5000), where this problem seems to exist. The update that appears to fix the problem is a "security update" - see KB2899519 - issued in December 2014, so as far as the 32-bit version is concerned, bringing it up to the current version (14.0.7142.5002) should eliminate the problem. I imagine it is the same for the 64-bit version of Office, but I'll post again if I find out otherwise.

Peter Jamieson

• Marked as answer by Steve Fan Tuesday, January 27, 2015 2:00 AM
    Sunday, January 18, 2015 2:02 PM

All replies

• What you're describing is the way cross-references normally work - they aren't dynamic and won't update unless you do something that causes them to do so (e.g. Ctrl-A, F9, printing or previewing the document - with the 'update fields before printing' option checked).

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thursday, January 15, 2015 11:12 AM
  • But my problem is that everything seems ok but it doesn´t update by printing or using F9 like it should. I have tried some time to solve the problem but not succeded yet. Everything seems good (controls, bookmark, cross-reference) but still doesn´t work like it have done before.

Thursday, January 15, 2015 11:50 AM
  • That suggests you may have some tracked changes affecting the cross-references that haven't been accepted/rejected.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thursday, January 15, 2015 11:56 AM
  • Is it possible to send you a file to show the problem?, I didn´t succed to add a link because I´m a new member.
    Thursday, January 15, 2015 12:05 PM
  • I'm reluctant to give out an email address. You should be able to post the parts of a link so that, when re-assembled, they'll work (e.g. insert _ instead of /).

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thursday, January 15, 2015 12:14 PM
  • Ok here is a link to a new document where the function doesn´t work for me:

First http:// then 1drv.ms/!INF0QB

Thursday, January 15, 2015 2:11 PM
  • When I input that as http://1drv.ms/!INF0QB, it resolves to http://https//onedrive.live.com, which is an invalid link.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thursday, January 15, 2015 8:31 PM
  • The link should be:  
    http://1drv.ms/1NF0QB 

I
     see the same as you. The trouble is that I can't remember whether 2010 always did it this way, or whether this is a new problem. Perhaps macropod does.  I see the following:
     a. I type something in the text content control (say "Hello!")
     b. I select the control and insert a bookmark name (say, "mybm")
     c. I insert a { REF mybm } field somewhere
     d. I update the REF field. It displays "Hello!"
     e. I delete the "!" in the content control
     f. I update the REF field. It dispays "Hello". OK so far.
     g. I delete the text from the content control and click outside. It displays its placeholder text.
     h. I update the REF field. It displays the placeholder text.
     i. I type in the content control again. Say "Goodbye!"
     j. I update the REF field. It still shows the placeholder text. Which is the point your document is at. It's stuck.
     k. If I actually type text in the copy of the content control inserted by the REF field, then update the REF field, it will now display "Goodbye!" 

I checked this in Word 2007 and Word 2013, and AFAICS they both behave how you expect, i.e. they do not get stuck. What I cannot remember is whether this is the way 2010 has always behaved, or whether it is new behaviour. 

Peter Jamieson

Saturday, January 17, 2015 3:08 PM
  • ISTR Word 2010 having problems at one stage with cross-references to bookmarked content controls not updating if the content control's 'Content control cannot be deleted' property was checked. I'm not seeing that behaviour (or the behaviour you describe) now, however.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Sunday, January 18, 2015 12:51 AM
  • I have just been stepping forward through Office updates since around SP2 (version 14.0.7128.5000), where this problem seems to exist. The update that appears to fix the problem is a "security update" - see KB2899519 - issued in December 2014, so as far as the 32-bit version is concerned, bringing it up to the current version (14.0.7142.5002) should eliminate the problem. I imagine it is the same for the 64-bit version of Office, but I'll post again if I find out otherwise.

Peter Jamieson

• Marked as answer by Steve Fan Tuesday, January 27, 2015 2:00 AM
    Sunday, January 18, 2015 2:02 PM
  • Hi!

Im sorry I not replying until now. I had problems with entering the forum on friday an then had a weekend without computer. I have also realised that my problem occurs on version 14.0.7140.5000 (on this computer) but when I try the file on another computer with version 14.0.7140.5002 everything seems to work fine.

Thanka a lot for fast reply on my question!

Monday, January 19, 2015 7:06 AM