Making sure of program uninstalled RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I remotely connected to my internet service provider for some assistance. They installed an application named 'LogMeIn'. It was from a web site by that same name. My ISP claimed that on restarting the computer, this program will automatically un-install. How can I make certain that it has un-installed and not hiding in my computer.

Thank you

melita

Saturday, April 28, 2012 12:57 AM

Answers

• Occasionally the screen needs a refresh (F5), but at other times it’s one of the great mysteries of Windows Explorer.
    • Marked as answer by floccinaucini Sunday, April 29, 2012 12:25 PM
    Sunday, April 29, 2012 11:59 AM

All replies

• If the program was installed, go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Programs and Features and look for the program name.

If it wasn’t installed (standalone program) search for it by name in Windows Explorer.

Saturday, April 28, 2012 7:25 AM
  • I found this in Windows Explorer. Here are the locations.

C:\Users\Melita\AppData\LocalLow\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\DOMStore\Q2LGT3Q4

C:\Users\Melita\AppData\Local

C:\Users\Melita\AppData\Local\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\OYY4EZL4

file:///C:/Users/Melita/Downloads/Download%2520today.mht

If I simply delete them and empty the recycle bin, will they be permanently removed the hard disc?

Thank you

melita

Saturday, April 28, 2012 1:58 PM
  • Go ahead and delete them all.

AppData is a hidden folder, so you may have to 'Show hidden files' in Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Folder Options > View Tab.

Saturday, April 28, 2012 2:19 PM
  • Unable to delete. "Are you sure you want to delete" window opens. When I click on delete the said window closes but nothing happens. The documents stay on the page.

Then I selected all items and tried to delete with the same result. The following window opens.

melita

Saturday, April 28, 2012 4:03 PM
  • Try deleting the file(s) in Safe Mode as follows:

Restart the computer, start tapping F8 and the choose Safe Mode. Delete the file(s) and restart the computer in Normal Mode.

Saturday, April 28, 2012 6:12 PM
  • I started in the 'safe mode' and did the search in windows explorer as before. None of the files showed up, as they did earlier in 'computer'. I searched in all the items in the navigation panel and came up with the same message, 'no items match your search'.

I shut down and started in the normal mode and nothing is showing up now. In both 'safe' and 'normal' mode I am drawing a blank. They are not in the recycle bin either!

Regards.

melita

Saturday, April 28, 2012 11:34 PM
  • It sounds to me as though you have removed everything connected to the program.

Sunday, April 29, 2012 7:06 AM
  • Have you any idea how this could have happened? When I posted the screen shot, about ten attempts to delete, had met with stubborn refusal to delete. I did nothing after posting the screen shot, except to start in safe mode as you instructed and found all files missing. It makes me uncomfortable, wondering how they disappeared without any action on my part - specially unwanted files. Could the earlier indication of the prescence of the files have been a spurious occurence. Does that sort of thing happen?

Regards.

melita

Sunday, April 29, 2012 11:48 AM
  • Occasionally the screen needs a refresh (F5), but at other times it’s one of the great mysteries of Windows Explorer.
    • Marked as answer by floccinaucini Sunday, April 29, 2012 12:25 PM
    Sunday, April 29, 2012 11:59 AM
  • Much obliged for all the help. Most of all, your statement "it’s one of the great mysteries of  Windows Explorer"

I shall remember this, so that I will not dwell on it when something like this happens again!

Best regards and thank you once again.

melita

Sunday, April 29, 2012 12:35 PM