none
Help required with basic scheduling problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am dealing with a problem in very basic scheduling that I want to resolve. Lets say there are two activities A & B. A is the predecessor of B. They have a FS link. Both have 4 days duration. A starts from Oct-18 to Oct-23 and B from Oct-24 to Oct-29.

Now when I entered the actual progress, activity A actually starts and completed on planned time i.e. from Oct-18 to Oct-23 in 4 days. But B starts two day earlier i.e actual start date of B becomes Oct-22 instead of Oct-24.

In my opinion what now should happen is that the end date of B should also move two days earlier i.e. Oct-25. But this is not how MS Project is behaving. What MS Project is doing, it is splitting the task B, dropping the link on Activity B on Oct-22 and ending the activity B on the same old date of oct-29.  

Any suggestion, why Project is doing this and what should be done to update the task correctly?

Friday, October 19, 2012 5:03 AM

Answers

• Hi,

One of the usual suspects... You have told Project that your task B HAS STARTED on Oct 22 (Project will not put a value in Actual Start itself, YOU have done that somehow). In task information set the task again to 0% complete; if necessary delete the entry in Actual Start (Actual means past reality, Project will never ever change that. Note that the first days of the task are just split (that's how Project tries to honor the dependency!).

Greetings,

Friday, October 19, 2012 3:23 PM
  • Nedian,

It appears that Jan has looked at the file and located the issue.  Just to make one point of clarification for you.  Options in project honor the constraints - not dependencies (which in reality are the relationships of FS, SS, FF, SF).  Project does not have options nor does it by default record dependencies (Mandatory, Discretionary and External).  

Hope this helps.

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series

Friday, October 19, 2012 4:41 PM

All replies

• Nedian,

Help us out a bit here if you please.  What version of project are you using?  If it is 2010, are the tasks manually or auto scheduled?  Do you have any constraints set (such as a Must Finish On on task B)?  Do you have the options set to allow splits in remaining work?

Regards,

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series

Friday, October 19, 2012 5:15 AM
  • Gregg,

Thanks for taking interest in my problem. The version I am using is 2010. Tasks are auto scheduled. There is no contraints set other then the default ASAP. And all options are set on DEFAULT so I dont think that option for splitting task for remaining work is checked.

I am unable to put up some image at my account is new and not yet verified by the forum mods.

Friday, October 19, 2012 10:55 AM
  • Hello Nedian,

You can send the file to

jandemesATprom-ade.be

(Replace AT by @)

I'll have a look.

Greetings,

Friday, October 19, 2012 12:02 PM
  • Thanks Jan.

I have send the image file on your email address.

Kindly have a look and reply.

Friday, October 19, 2012 12:41 PM
  • Hi,

One of the usual suspects... You have told Project that your task B HAS STARTED on Oct 22 (Project will not put a value in Actual Start itself, YOU have done that somehow). In task information set the task again to 0% complete; if necessary delete the entry in Actual Start (Actual means past reality, Project will never ever change that. Note that the first days of the task are just split (that's how Project tries to honor the dependency!).

Greetings,

Friday, October 19, 2012 3:23 PM
  • Nedian,

It appears that Jan has looked at the file and located the issue.  Just to make one point of clarification for you.  Options in project honor the constraints - not dependencies (which in reality are the relationships of FS, SS, FF, SF).  Project does not have options nor does it by default record dependencies (Mandatory, Discretionary and External).  

Hope this helps.

Friday, October 19, 2012 4:41 PM
  • Thank you so much Sir. That really helped.

My idea was that, when you enter the actuals (actual start, actual finish etc.) it overrides the links as well as constraints, if any. So i thought that when I am entering an actual start date which is two days earlier the planned start date, the Project will honor the actual and overrides the FS link b/w A & B.

Anyways, I have found another solution for this problem based on your reply. Just unchecked the "Split remaining work" option and viola. The finish date also moved to two days earlier.

Thanks again, you are so supportive.

Monday, October 22, 2012 4:44 AM
  • Thank you Sir. Nice tip, I will keep this in mind.
    Monday, October 22, 2012 4:46 AM