none
Critical path across multiple projects RRS feed

• Question

• I have a master schedule that contains several subprojects. I can't seem to get the critical path to run across all projects. I have deselected the option to calculate subprojects as summary tasks. I have also selected the option to calculate multiple paths.  For some reason, even though I have a Must Finish On constraint on the project complete milestone the critical path fails to show the multiple paths after is should be performing a backwards calculation through the schedule.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Friday, May 20, 2016 1:28 AM

All replies

• SatScheduler,

May we assume you have cross-project links from subproject to subproject such that there would be a master level critical path?

What does the Total Slack field show? Are the tasks with zero total slack showing up as critical?

Are any of the tasks you think should be on the critical path already complete (i.e. 100%)?

Or, are any of the tasks in what you think should be part of the critical path partially complete?

What happens if you remove the Must Finish On constraint on the completion milestone?

Also, what version of Project are you using and is it updated with the latest Cumulative Update?

John

Friday, May 20, 2016 2:02 AM
  • I would definitely get rid of the must finish on constraint and replace it with a deadline. Must finish on can completely mess up your critical path. More importantly it always shows the task finishing on the required date and many managers/customers won't understand negative slack.

Deadlines are great for setting desired delivery dates for deliverables.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Saturday, May 21, 2016 11:15 PM