none
Windows update error 0x80071a91 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'd be grateful for any hint on how to solve the following issue.

HW: Acer Extensa 2511 notebook, Intel Core i5-5200U CPU, 8 GB DDR3 RAM
    OS: Win 10 Home 64 bit, version: 1909, build: 18363.720, language: Hungarian, activated with digital signature

The HDD unexpectedly produced a number of bad sectors, this destroyed the EFI partition and several system files. The system crashed and did not boot. I had no rescue image and no previous system restoration point.

I replaced the HDD with an SSD and migrated the corrupted OS using a disk imaging software, then I recreated the EFI partition manually and since then Windows boots properly. I ran chkdsk and it fixed a lot of errors.

Soon I realized that Windows Update is not working, installing the cummulative update KB4549951 fails and returns the error code 0x80071a91. (Before the crash other updates were automatically installed.) Also, I had various issues when trying to install other pieces of software (e.g. Avast Antivirus, Macrium Reflect, MalwareByte Antimalware, etc.) - some of these claimed missing DLL files.

- "sfc /scannow" found errors that it was unable to fix. From CBS.log I learnt that a dozen system files are damaged and can't be fixed because they are corrupted in the component store too.
    - "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth" told me that the component store is "repairable".
    - "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" was unable to fix the component store either by using Windows update or by using an ESD or WIM file that I extracted from a Win installer created with Media Creation Tool.

I created a clean startup by disabling all non-MS services and apps. This didn't change anything.

At last I manually fixed all corrupted system files, by examining CBS.log & dism.log to see what is missing/corrupt (both in System32, SysWow64 and in WinSxS), extracting the healthy version of these files from the fresh ESD file, and overwriting the corrupted version with them. I watched out for hard links and recreated all of them to match those in the ESD file. (All this was done with a .bat file that I ran from the Command Line after booting from the Windows installer media.)

The results: "sfc /scannow" finds no corruption, "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth" finds no corruption. Macrium Reflect installed without problem. Windows update is still not working.

The Windows Update troubleshooter can't solve the issue.

I downloaded the standalone installer of KB4549951 but it fails install the update too.

I tried resetting the Windows Update Components, reregistering DLLs, reinitiating the Windows Update process, but it doesn't help. All 4 required services (wuauserv, cryptSvc, bits, msiserver)can be properly started.

I used the PowerShell command Get-WindowsUpdateLog to see the detailed log but couldn't find any reference to missing / corrupt system files tha would cause the issue.

Thank you for your help!

Tibor

Sunday, May 10, 2020 9:01 PM

All replies

• 1) Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    2) sfc /scannow
    3) dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
    4) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    5) sfc /scannow
    6) chkdsk /scan

7) When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread

8) Make a new restore point

9) This is a trial and error step:

Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:

fsutil resource setautoreset true c:\

Please remember to vote and to mark the replies as answers if they help.

On the bottom of each post there is: 

Propose as answer = answered the question

On the left side of each post:  Vote = a helpful post

Monday, May 11, 2020 9:25 PM
  • Hello,

thank you for your response and your support. It's much appreciated.

I have previously tried all the steps that you suggested, but they did not help. Anyway, I repeated them all again now. - Unfortunately with no luck. Below the logs.

Do you have any further suggestion?

Thank you!
    Tibor

================

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18363.720]
    (c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. Minden jog fenntartva.

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\Windows\system32>dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.18362.1

Image Version: 10.0.18363.720

[==========================100.0%==========================] No component store corruption detected.
    The operation completed successfully.

C:\Windows\system32>dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.18362.1

Image Version: 10.0.18363.720

[==========================100.0%==========================]
    Error: 6801

A megadott erőforrás-kezelőben nincs elindítva a tranzakciótámogatás, vagy hiba miatt leállt.
    [English translation: "Transaction support within the specified resource manager is not started or was shut down due to an error."]

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk /scan
    The type of the file system is NTFS.
    Volume label is Rendszer.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
      511488 file records processed.
    File verification completed.
      15950 large file records processed.
      0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
      35514 reparse records processed.
      621184 index entries processed.
    Index verification completed.
      0 unindexed files scanned.
      0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.
      35514 reparse records processed.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
    Security descriptor verification completed.
      54849 data files processed.
    CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
      41102120 USN bytes processed.
    Usn Journal verification completed.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
    No further action is required.

104857599 KB total disk space.
      34355636 KB in 171760 files.
        144208 KB in 54850 indexes.
          1972 KB in bad sectors.
        628559 KB in use by the system.
         65536 KB occupied by the log file.
      69727224 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
      26214399 total allocation units on disk.
      17431806 allocation units available on disk.

C:\Windows\system32>

================

I've also fetched the DISM logs. These are the Error lines in it. - hope this helps you:

================

2020-05-12 07:01:22, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=10092 TID=8352 Failed finalizing changes. - CDISMPackageManager::Internal_Finalize(hr:0x80071a91)
    2020-05-12 07:01:22, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=10092 TID=8352 Failed processing package changes with session option CbsSessionOptionRepairStoreCorruption - CDISMPackageManager::RestoreHealth(hr:0x80071a91)
    2020-05-12 07:01:22, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=10092 TID=8352 Failed to restore the image health. - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ProcessCmdLine_CleanupImage(hr:0x80071a91)
    2020-05-12 07:01:22, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=10092 TID=8352 Failed while processing command cleanup-image. - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine(hr:0x80071a91)
    2020-05-12 07:01:22, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=10092 TID=8352 Further logs for online package and feature related operations can be found at %WINDIR%\logs\CBS\cbs.log - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine
    2020-05-12 07:01:22, Error                 DISM   DISM.EXE: DISM Package Manager processed the command line but failed. HRESULT=80071A91

=============

Tuesday, May 12, 2020 5:26 AM
  • Re-posting the thread or opening a new thread in Windows 10 > general will get more viewers.

Unless it is windows home single language edition > modify the default language to English:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3813-language-add-remove-change-windows-10-a.html
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/136792-change-display-language-windows-10-a.html#option1

Then post the CBS log:  

C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

The next version of Windows should be released in the next 30 - 60 days.

Then perform an in place upgrade repair:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

These are some examples of steps involved when fixing without an in place upgrade repair:

https://www.sysnative.com/forums/search/41742/?q=80071a91&o=date

Tuesday, May 12, 2020 12:42 PM

• I'll follow the new thread.

Good luck.

Tuesday, May 12, 2020 9:23 PM
  • These are options to consider:

1) An in place upgrade repair typically fixes operating system problems. 

It typically does not fix registry problems when it is the same windows version. 

If an upgrade can be performed (1709 > 1803, 1803 > 1809, etc.) then registry problems can be fixed.

2) The next windows version should be released within 60 days (no exact date yet).

3) Custom install (saves files to Windows.old), drivers, and applications need to be reinstalled > files are restored from windows.old

4) Clean install (files, drivers, and applications need to be reinstalled

5) Use the Microsoft feedback hub:  Regback use to be automatic on prior windows versions.  If it were automatic and available it may have been a repair option.

These are some links:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/120352-custom-install-windows-10-a.html

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html

Wednesday, May 13, 2020 8:39 AM
  • Method 1:
    Disable the antivirus software in your computer if you have any and check.

Disclaimer: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you should not disable your antivirus software. If you do have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you are connected to the Internet or a network during the time your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Method 2:
    If the issue still remains, try manually reset the Windows Updates Components once again and then reinitiate the Windows Update process.

Resetting Windows Update Components will fix corrupt Windows Update Components and help you to install the Windows Updates quickly. 

Please follow the below steps to reset the Windows Updates Components:
    1. Press Windows Key + X on the keyboard and then select “Command Prompt (Admin)” from the menu.
    2. Stop the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.
                               net stop wuauserv
                               net stop cryptSvc
                               net stop bits
                               net stop msiserver
    3. Now rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folder. You can do this by typing the following commands in the Command Prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.
                              ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
                              ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
    4. Now, let’s restart the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. Type the following commands in the Command Prompt for this. Press the ENTER key after you type each command.
                            net start wuauserv
                            net start cryptSvc
                            net start bits
                            net start msiserver
    5. Type Exit in the Command Prompt to close it and then restart the computer.
    6.After restarting the computer, now retry to install Windows Updates.

• Proposed as answer by Akshay M Wednesday, May 13, 2020 9:17 AM
    Wednesday, May 13, 2020 9:17 AM
  • I've tried resetting the Windows Update components previously, but it did not help.

Following advice from a Sysinternal moderator I realized that the Components hive is completely missing from the machine.

I'm trying to perform an in-place Windows upgrade, but it fails in the preparation phase with the error message "Couldn't check if there is enough disk space for the installation". (There is 30GB free on the system drive)

Wednesday, May 13, 2020 9:29 AM
  • In-place upgrade did not work, so I had to do a fresh install. :(

Thank you for your help anyway! I appreciate it.

Thursday, May 14, 2020 10:49 AM
  • You're welcome.

1) Make backup images:

(Acronis, Aoemi, EaseUS, Macrium, Paragon, etc.

2) The underlying computer problems likely could have been fixed using Regback

Using the Microsoft feedback hub please send info on your computer problems.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4509719/the-system-registry-is-no-longer-backed-up-to-the-regback-folder-start

Thursday, May 14, 2020 11:28 PM