Email size increase when perform forwarding. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

When I receive an email with attachment and try to forward it via Outlook, the size increase and can even double up the size of the original message.

May I know what is the possibility of it?

-MSC8286

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 8:14 AM

Answers

• Do those messages include attachments?

Are you sending the messages to addresses outside your Exchange organization?

Base64-encoding accounts for up to a 40% increase in the size of an attachment. I can't say I've ever seen it double the size of the message though. The only thing that comes to mind is that there are Outlook "forms" associated with the message. If so, then the message AND the form may be sent to addresses outside your organization.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 10:37 PM

All replies

• Hi

Is this happening in your mailbox only? any disclaimer software that is adding in information?

If you run the same test on OWA does the same thing happen?

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 12:16 PM
  • Hi,

Is this Problem for one User or All.

Have to Check by Login on to OWA.

If it's for a single try to recreate the Mailbox account.

Mark as a Answer/Helpful Post if it helps.

Regards.

Naren Neelam, Messaging Consultant, ITBigBang (P) Ltd Www.ITBigBang.Com | Hire Us for Messaging Consulting

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 12:17 PM
  • Do those messages include attachments?

Are you sending the messages to addresses outside your Exchange organization?

Base64-encoding accounts for up to a 40% increase in the size of an attachment. I can't say I've ever seen it double the size of the message though. The only thing that comes to mind is that there are Outlook "forms" associated with the message. If so, then the message AND the form may be sent to addresses outside your organization.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 10:37 PM
  • Hi,

Could you please be more specific on the issue? After it was forwarded, where did you recognized the size increased? From the receiver or sent items?

Regards,

Rebecca Tu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, November 21, 2013 1:18 PM