how to troubleshoot mail backing up in mapidelivery queue RRS feed

• Question

• exchange 2007 server, single stand alone server.

last several days I have noticed the mapidelivery queue backing up, as much as 250 emails at one time.

only thing in event viewer was:

what are the steps for troubleshooting the maipidelvivery queue?

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 3:27 PM

All replies

• Hey Captain,

Troubleshooting queues are fairly straight forward. Not all trouble situations are same when it comes to Email Queue Troubleshooting, below is just a guideline

1. if a email delivery queue is piled up - depending on the queue (in this case the MAPIDelivery) - check for the NIC cards on the Exchange server. check the NIC card status, Nic card order (in case of multiple NICs)

2. Check if DNS is working correctly on the Exchange server. Try some nslookup and ping commands to see if DNS is resolving correctly

3. Mapidelivery queue can be high if one of the Exchange databases are in dismounted state or in a heavy utilization state (extremely busy state)

4. Mapidelivery queue can be high if the underlying Network on that Exchange server is misconfigured (even for a stand alone server)

5. If you see Mapidelivery high - sometimes, there are email loops happening and / or SMTP relay apps sending mass emails in one shot and so on

Note: Long story short - 250 emails in the queue is not really indicate a problem because it is relatively a small number.

All the best!

Regards, Siva

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 4:13 PM
  • 1. Can you determine if messages are delivered, ultimately?

2. You can run the ExBPA (best practices analyzer) to see if something is amiss with the general Exchange configuration.

Did something change?

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Thursday, November 7, 2013 12:05 PM