Retrieve field based on match against multiple selection Lookup field RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have three lists with names 'Projects', 'Project Updates' and 'Project Subscriptions'.

Projects list has ProjectName field which is used as Lookup column in 'Project Updates' List (single value) and 'Project Subscriptions' List (multiple values).

I am storing the subscriptions in a list (instead of using Alerts feature) as I need to assign a task also to the subscribers in addition to just notifying.  

When a record is added to the 'Project Updates' list , I would like to notify and assign a task to the corresponding project subscribers using a workflow.

In the SPD workflow, I am not sure how do I retrieve the list of subscribers from the 'Project Subscriptions' List by matching the 'ProjectName' as the field is single value in 'Project Updates' List and multiple values in 'Project Subscriptions' List.

Here is my sample data in 3 lists.

Projects:

Project Name

project1

project2

project3

Project Updates:

Project Name         Change Description

project1                 My Change Desc1

project2                 My Change Desc2

project3                 My Change Desc3

Project Subscriptions:

PersonName           Projects

Name1                  project1; project2

Name2                  project2; project3

Name3                  project1; project2; project3

PersonName field is a Person or Group type field.

What are the steps that are needed in the SharePoint Designer Workflow to retrieve only the relevant names corresponding to the project name that has been added to the 'Project Updates' list ?

For example, if I add 'project1' to the 'Project Updates' List, the workflow should retrieve only Name1 and Name3 as they have subscribed to project1.

Thanks.

Vmrao.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 4:14 PM

All replies

• Can you change the setup of Project Subscription list to look like below:

Projects                       Person Name

project1                       Name1; Name2

project2                       Name2; Name4; Name3

project3                       Name1; Name3

This way you would be able to retrieve the name of the subscribers and send approvals to them when a Project is selected in Project Update list.

Regards, Kapil ***Please mark answer as Helpful or Answered after consideration***

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 4:45 PM
  • No, because the persons themselves will be subscribing to the projects applicable for them. That is the reason I have 'Projects' column allowing multiple selections.

Is there any way to accomplish my requirement without changing the setup ?

Thanks,

vmrao.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 5:12 PM