none
Does DPM 2010 backup Hyper-V Snapshots? RRS feed

• Question

• It looks like someone (maybe me?) created a Hyper-V Snapshot of a live VM without realizing it. (Possible over an Internet connection when clicking on overlapped windows).

The *.AVHD files do not appear in DPM.

Does DPM actually backup Hyper-V differencing disks?

Is there a way to disable snapshot creation or at least put up a warning message box that a snapshot is about to be created?

I realize there has been some discussion about what some may consider a backwards approach to the definition of "delete" and "apply" when closing avhd files. Unfortunately, customers need to have access to administrator passwords and my concern is they (and even us) may make an incorrect assumption if a snapshot is ever created accidentally or out of curiosity. What would be worse is if DPM doesn't even backup the avhd files and we need to restore.

Thanks,

Bob.

Friday, November 18, 2011 1:53 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, DPM will backup Hyper-V VM snapshots associated with a VM and restore them.  If you are using differencing disks, DPM will backup the parent disk for every VM using it.   This is because a VM using a differencing disk cannot be restored without also restoring the parent.  Therefore if you have 4 VM's using a differencing disk, DPM will backup the parent disk 4 times, once for each VM.

Be aware of the following hotfix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971677

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 12:08 AM