none
Project 2013 'Views' Menu Enterprise Global Template RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am using Project Server 2013 and wanted to standardise 'View' Menu by adding or removing Views from the menu so that only regularly used views are available on the menu.

I noticed that when I uncheck 'Show in menu' and click OK. Go to the view menu and check if it is gone. And yes, it is gone. I save the EGT. Close Project. Re-open project. Connect to my PWA instance accordingly. Go to the menu and the view that I ensured I removed from the menu is still there.

I open EGT again to check...the view magically re-appears again!

I am not sure if I am missing a step here.

Any help will be great to point out which step I have missed.

Thank you,

SJ

Friday, September 19, 2014 2:27 PM

Answers

• Hi Dale,

Apologies for the delayed response. Your response didn't answer my question unfortunately. As mentioned, I noticed a bug and by applying SP1 which fixed the issue. I know... a bit too late to apply SP1, but have been hesitant to apply it as these days patches and hot fixes introduces more bugs :-)

Thank you,

SJ

Monday, September 29, 2014 5:06 PM

All replies

• Hi SJ,

What view are you talking about precisely? Is it a project center view, a project site view (list or librairy)? Is it a project plan view? What do you mean by EGT?

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Friday, September 19, 2014 2:46 PM
  • SJ_EPM --

I appreciate what you are trying to do, which is to standardize the View pick list in Microsoft Project 2013 for every project manager.  However, what you are trying to do CANNOT be done.  Here's why.  The views shown on any View menu in Microsoft Project 2013 come from two locations:

• The Global.mpt file for the hard drive of each PM using Microsoft Project 2013.  This is where all of the default views, tables, filters, and groups reside.  For example, this is where the Gantt Chart view, Resource Sheet view, and Task Usage view come from.  When a user clicks the Gantt Chart pick list button on the Task ribbon, and selects the Task Usage view, Microsoft Project 2013 pulls that view from the user's Global.mpt file and copies it into the project.
    • The Enterprise Global file, which resides in the Project Server 2013 system.  This is where you, as the Project Server administrator, can create custom enterprise views, tables, filters, and groups.  When you create a custom view, then every one of your PMs can access that new custom view by clicking any View pick list button, and it will show up in the Custom section at the top of the view menu.  These are the ONLY views you can control.

As the Project Server administrator, you have no control over the contents of the Global.mpt file on each PM's hard drive.  You can only control the contents of the Enterprise Global.  So, although your idea is a good one, it is not possible to accomplish your goal.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, September 19, 2014 6:22 PM
  • SJ_EPM --

I also forgot to mention that in your Enterprise Global, you should ONLY see true enterprise views, tables, filters, and groups.  And you SHOULD NOT copy and non-enterprise views, tables, filters into the Enterprise Global, as this will POLLUTE your Enterprise Global file with non-enterprise objects, which will then cause your PMs to see one or more error messages EVERY TIME they open their enterprise projects.  So, if you see views like the Gantt Chart or Resource Sheet view in your Enterprise Global file, delete them.  If you see tables like the Entry table or the Cost table, delete them as well.  Only true enterprise views, tables, filters, and groups should be in the Enterprise Global file, and nothing more.  Hope this clarification helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, September 19, 2014 6:25 PM
  • Hi Dale,

Spot on Dale.

The Enterprise Global Template file is what I am referring to (EGT). 

Yes, I understand how it works in terms of setting views, filter and groups and also understand how not to corrupt it since PS2007 days :-)

Basically what you are trying to say is that I cannot control what is shown in view list by checking 'Show in the menu'.

I tested it again on a different environment and I managed to get my view on the menu! What I noticed though is that I cannot remove it! I think this is a bug.

What I also noticed Proj2010 I am able to achieve exactly what I am trying to in Proj2013. Whether it be my local "Global" mpt of my EGT connected to Project Server that is the reason why I was a bit confused. 

I think I will raise a ticket for this, as I am getting different test outcomes in two different environments.

Thanks for your help anyway.

SJ

Saturday, September 20, 2014 12:19 PM
  • SJ_EPM --

If one of my responses answered your original question, would you kindly mark that response as the answer to your question?  I would be grateful.  Thanks@!

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, September 22, 2014 1:28 AM
  • Hi Dale,

Apologies for the delayed response. Your response didn't answer my question unfortunately. As mentioned, I noticed a bug and by applying SP1 which fixed the issue. I know... a bit too late to apply SP1, but have been hesitant to apply it as these days patches and hot fixes introduces more bugs :-)

Thank you,

SJ

Monday, September 29, 2014 5:06 PM