Laptop doesn't boot PXE RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have Windows 2008 with Deployment Services. Everything worked correctly.

Now we have three new laptops purchased and these laptops doesn't boot from the network. If I press F12 at startup i see DHCP ................................................................... The DHCP server give not a ip adres. Other computers in the network worked correctly. When i install Windows with a DVD the network works correctly.

Any ideas?

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 8:54 AM

Answers

• Hi,

After reviewing the error message you provided, the issue could be related to the DHCP server.

1. Please make sure that the laptop could contact DHCP server;
    2. Please verify whether the DHCP scope has been defined in DHCP console;
    3. Please look into DHCP console to make sure that some IP addresses are available for the clients;

Also we need to check the IP address of WDS server and DHCP server. They are in the same subnet or in different sunbet. At the same time, please let me your connection method between client and server, wired or wireless.

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by James Xiong Thursday, September 6, 2012 5:40 AM
    Thursday, August 9, 2012 1:08 AM
  • When I boot from the network i see:

PXE-E51: No DHCP or proxyDHCP offers were received.

No DHCP or proxyDHCP offers were received? I think you need to check whether this laptop is PXE boot supported. Towards the detailed information about specific NIC on your laptop, you need to contact the laptop manufacturer to verify whether the PXE boot supported or not.

If the NIC on this laptop is PXE boot not supported, you need to use discovery image to install OS via network, there is a link for your reference:

Title: Creating Discover Images

URL: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd637996(v=ws.10).aspx

Regards,

James

James Xiong

• Proposed as answer by James Xiong Friday, August 17, 2012 1:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by James Xiong Monday, August 20, 2012 1:04 AM
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 2:43 AM

All replies

• Hi,

After reviewing the error message you provided, the issue could be related to the DHCP server.

1. Please make sure that the laptop could contact DHCP server;
    2. Please verify whether the DHCP scope has been defined in DHCP console;
    3. Please look into DHCP console to make sure that some IP addresses are available for the clients;

Also we need to check the IP address of WDS server and DHCP server. They are in the same subnet or in different sunbet. At the same time, please let me your connection method between client and server, wired or wireless.

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

• Marked as answer by James Xiong Thursday, September 6, 2012 5:40 AM
    Thursday, August 9, 2012 1:08 AM
  • Hello!

Thanks for your answer.

The laptop have connection with the network. When windows is started i have connection with internet and the DHCP is defined in the console. I have enough ip addresses in the DHCP console.

We use a wired connection with the network.

The problem is that three HP elitebooks make no connection and the rest of all the computers makes succesfully connection with WDS.

Friday, August 10, 2012 9:38 AM
  • it could be an offered DHCP option that is not acceptable to these machines?

e.g. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/itprovistadeployment/thread/0150a1a9-fe69-4462-9e7d-97b249e5551e

Don

Friday, August 10, 2012 11:01 AM

Friday, August 10, 2012 12:13 PM

No DHCP or proxyDHCP offers were received? I think you need to check whether this laptop is PXE boot supported. Towards the detailed information about specific NIC on your laptop, you need to contact the laptop manufacturer to verify whether the PXE boot supported or not.

If the NIC on this laptop is PXE boot not supported, you need to use discovery image to install OS via network, there is a link for your reference:

Title: Creating Discover Images

URL: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd637996(v=ws.10).aspx

Regards,

James

James Xiong

• Proposed as answer by James Xiong Friday, August 17, 2012 1:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by James Xiong Monday, August 20, 2012 1:04 AM
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 2:43 AM