none
SQL 2016 CU4 (KB4464106) Will Not Install

Question

• Hello all.

I am attempting to install KB4464106 on this installation:

Microsoft SQL Server 2016 (SP2-CU3) (KB4458871) - 13.0.5216.0 (X64)   Sep 13 2018 22:16:01   Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation  Standard Edition (64-bit) on Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard 6.3 <X64> (Build 9600: ) (Hypervisor) 

and I am presented with the following error during the upgrade:

There are no SQL Server instances or shared features that can be updated on this computer.

This error is specific to this machine as I am able to update other machines that were at this same patch level. Does anyone know why this would be or how to force and upgrade?

Thanks all.

Friday, January 11, 2019 7:54 PM

Answers

• True @@VERSION is more useful, while the other version is simpler to read in some cases, which is why I asked both

and I missed that you published it in your post for some reason :-)
    Sry for this

If I remember correctly, then I read your message > went to eat > and when I came back I added my message without re-read the question...

Can you check if this post help you. It point for two reasons basically: (1) Current version does not much the update and maybe you need to install another update before, (2) previous install update was not well installed

https://blog.sqlauthority.com/2016/09/26/sql-server-patch-installation-error-version-sql-server-instance-not-match-version/

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]    [Linkedin]

• Edited by pituachMVP Sunday, January 13, 2019 8:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by D. Pendleton Thursday, January 17, 2019 5:50 PM
    Sunday, January 13, 2019 8:16 AM
  • Thanks for the response. I tried messing around with the registry earlier, changing the CurrentVersion and PatchLevel values here and there, but that didn't help.

Next, I tried a repair of 2016, but that didn't help either.

Finally, I reapplied SP2 (KB4052908), and then KB4464106, and that did the trick. I'm sure something in the registry wasn't quite right, but I never did figure out what it was.

Thanks again.

Sunday, January 13, 2019 7:01 PM

All replies

• Hello all.

I am attempting to install KB4464106 on this installation:

Microsoft SQL Server 2016 (SP2-CU3) (KB4458871) - 13.0.5216.0 (X64)   Sep 13 2018 22:16:01   Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation  Standard Edition (64-bit) on Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard 6.3 <X64> (Build 9600: ) (Hypervisor) 

and I am presented with the following error during the upgrade:

There are no SQL Server instances or shared features that can be updated on this computer.

This error is specific to this machine as I am able to update other machines that were at this same patch level. Does anyone know why this would be or how to force and upgrade?

Thanks all.

Good day D,

Please execute the following query and provide the information you get

SELECT 
      SERVERPROPERTY('productversion') as 'Product Version',
      SERVERPROPERTY('productlevel') as 'Service Pack', 
      SERVERPROPERTY('edition') as 'Edition',
      SERVERPROPERTY('instancename') as 'Instance',
      SERVERPROPERTY('servername') as 'Server Name'

SELECT @@VERSION

signature   Ronen Ariely

• Edited by pituachMVP Saturday, January 12, 2019 11:51 PM
    Saturday, January 12, 2019 11:49 PM
  • You get more detailed information from @@VERSION, but here it is:

Product Version Service Pack Edition
    13.0.5216.0 SP2             Standard Edition (64-bit)

The value of @@VERSION is in my original post.

Sunday, January 13, 2019 4:15 AM
  • True @@VERSION is more useful, while the other version is simpler to read in some cases, which is why I asked both

and I missed that you published it in your post for some reason :-)
    Sry for this

If I remember correctly, then I read your message > went to eat > and when I came back I added my message without re-read the question...

Can you check if this post help you. It point for two reasons basically: (1) Current version does not much the update and maybe you need to install another update before, (2) previous install update was not well installed

https://blog.sqlauthority.com/2016/09/26/sql-server-patch-installation-error-version-sql-server-instance-not-match-version/

signature   Ronen Ariely

• Edited by pituachMVP Sunday, January 13, 2019 8:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by D. Pendleton Thursday, January 17, 2019 5:50 PM
    Sunday, January 13, 2019 8:16 AM
  • Thanks for the response. I tried messing around with the registry earlier, changing the CurrentVersion and PatchLevel values here and there, but that didn't help.

Finally, I reapplied SP2 (KB4052908), and then KB4464106, and that did the trick. I'm sure something in the registry wasn't quite right, but I never did figure out what it was.

Thanks again.

Sunday, January 13, 2019 7:01 PM

Thanks again.

Hi,

It sound like this fit the link I provided above and the second option I mentioned "(2) previous install update was not well installed

I am glad to hear that the issue was solved :-)

Have a great day

signature   Ronen Ariely

• Edited by pituachMVP Sunday, January 13, 2019 10:28 PM
    Sunday, January 13, 2019 9:31 PM