BSOD after installing new SSD and RAM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys.

I have a Lenovo R500 2732-7UG. I installed a new  OCZ vertex 2 and an additional 2 GB of RAM in my laptop. While doing so I also installed Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. After this I've been getting BSOD regularly. I get a Kernel-Power bluescreen, event-ID 41.  Here is the XML-version of the error.

Loggnavn:      System
    Kilde:         Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
    Dato:          18.08.2011 06:13:15
    Hendelses-ID:  41
    Oppgavekategori:(63)
    Nivå:          Kritisk
    Nøkkelord:     (2)
    Bruker:        SYSTEM
    Datamaskin:    ste1n
    Beskrivelse:
    Systemet har startet på nytt uten å avslutte på riktig måte. Denne feilen kan oppstå hvis systemet uventet har sluttet å svare, krasjet eller mistet strøm.
    Hendelses-XML-fil:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
        <EventID>41</EventID>
        <Version>2</Version>
        <Level>1</Level>
        <Task>63</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-08-18T04:13:15.325203200Z" />
        <EventRecordID>4288</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
        <Channel>System</Channel>
        <Computer>ste1n</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="BugcheckCode">122</Data>
        <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0xfffff6fc40009878</Data>
        <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0xffffffffc000000e</Data>
        <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x51862860</Data>
        <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0xfffff8800130f648</Data>
        <Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
        <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Can somebody please help me? This computer is no good if I get these errors. Can't rely on it for college... Please help!

Thanks in advance.

- Stein Sæter

Edit:

Oh, and by the way. I get these errors even when the computer is not in use, just standing there with the screen off and nobody using it (as you can see from this error, approx. 0600 in the morning...

Thursday, August 18, 2011 12:08 PM

Answers

• Fine, you seem to have eliminated the new RAM as the culprit.

Now, you need to eliminate the SSD.

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Monday, August 29, 2011 9:47 AM
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 10:45 PM
  • Hi,

Please collect dump file of BSOD:

Collect Minidump Files

=================

1. Click "Start", input "SYSDM.CPL" (without quotation marks) in the “Search” bar and press “Enter”.

2. Switch to the "Advanced" tab and click the "Settings" button under "Startup and Recovery".

3. Under "Write debugging information" section, make sure the "Small memory dump (128KB)" option is selected.

4. Make sure "%SystemRoot%\Minidump" is in the "Small dump directory" open box and click “OK”.

If the Blue Screen appears again, please refer to the following steps to collect memory dump files:

1. Click “Start”, type “%SystemRoot%\Minidump" (without quotation marks) in “Search” bar and press “Enter”.

2. Go to your Desktop, right-click on it and create a new folder named "Dump".

3. Copy all the memory dump files (looks like [Mini092008-01.dmp]) in Minidump to this folder.

4. Right-click on the Dump folder, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

5. Upload to SkyDrive.

Furthermore, about BSOD problem, you can contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for further help.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, August 22, 2011 5:51 AM

All replies

• Three major mods to your system at once, so the question is: where is the problem?

I have a question first. Are all the components of your system certified for Windows 7? Does the motherboard have Windows 7 drivers for all chipsets, etc?

If so...

The easiest mod to check is the memory. Put the memory configuration back to what it was before the changes. Do the issues stop with the old memory?

Testing the next possibility is more expensive.

It's possible the SSD is causing corruption. To find out, you would have to reinstall the original drive, then install Win 7 and see if the issues go away.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 8:52 PM
  • First of all, the computer was originally delivered with Windows 7. The RAM I bought (Kingston) is a RAM stick specially made for this laptop (and a few other Lenovos) a Kingston KTL-TP1066/2G. I have installed the drivers from OCZ to the SSD.

When I go to Device Manager I find no devices that doesn't have installed the driver. I have run Windows Update several times, and also System Update by Lenovo.

I have checked the memory using Memtest. No problems. Also, I get the same errors using the old RAM.

While I was writing this post I got a new BSOD. This time a little different. Now I get error code 0x000000F4. This is driving me crazy!

Thursday, August 18, 2011 9:32 PM
  • Fine, you seem to have eliminated the new RAM as the culprit.

Now, you need to eliminate the SSD.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 10:45 PM
  • Hi,

Please collect dump file of BSOD:

Collect Minidump Files

=================

1. Click "Start", input "SYSDM.CPL" (without quotation marks) in the “Search” bar and press “Enter”.

2. Switch to the "Advanced" tab and click the "Settings" button under "Startup and Recovery".

3. Under "Write debugging information" section, make sure the "Small memory dump (128KB)" option is selected.

4. Make sure "%SystemRoot%\Minidump" is in the "Small dump directory" open box and click “OK”.

If the Blue Screen appears again, please refer to the following steps to collect memory dump files:

1. Click “Start”, type “%SystemRoot%\Minidump" (without quotation marks) in “Search” bar and press “Enter”.

2. Go to your Desktop, right-click on it and create a new folder named "Dump".

3. Copy all the memory dump files (looks like [Mini092008-01.dmp]) in Minidump to this folder.

4. Right-click on the Dump folder, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

5. Upload to SkyDrive.

Furthermore, about BSOD problem, you can contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for further help.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, August 22, 2011 5:51 AM
  • I've got the same issue

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=ded0a5453e9a7afb&resid=DED0A5453E9A7AFB!199

I suspect it's a harddrive that's causing it, it used to vanish from view in windows randomly 2-6 hours after rebooting, but now it's here a bit more but with corrupt blocks, it's just a data disk that's not used these days, only contains files.

But this shouldn't be enough to cause bluescreens should it?

Friday, October 14, 2011 5:39 PM
  • The harddrive was not the issue, disconnected it a week ago and i still get bluescreens every day
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 8:02 PM
  • In case you wonder why your posts are not getting replies, it's because you posted to somebody else's answered thread.

If you want the best results, please start your own new thread and provide all hardware and software details pertinent to your situation.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 11:31 PM