Issue With Copying Files in Windows 7 RRS feed

• General discussion

• This is more of a Bug, but Microsoft Connect did not seem to have a category for Windows 7 feedback so here goes.

1.) If you try to paste a file that is already being used you get the standard "Cannot be performed because it is open in another program" dialog.

2.) While the Dialog is open, Go directly to the desktop using the lower-right button on the taskbar.

3.) It now seems impossible to get back the the Copy menu to click Cancel or Try again. Instead you are stuck with the "Copy Progress" dialog which is locked.

You can cancel the "Copy" task from Task manger, but the file is still locked by Com Surrogate which is running in dllhost.exe which must also be canceled.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 8:49 PM

All replies

• This is generally a problem affected by third party software. I would check for conflicts.

Reset all services back to default.

Try Safe Mode. If no avail go to ;run' msconfig' disable all startup programs and retry.

Sometimes programs opening up at run time can affect the ability to copy onto the desktop because it is using it as a resource

A program is cycling through the desktop (e.g. a indexer or media manager) may cause this problem.

Professional In Computing - Please Contact for Help. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 9:36 PM
  • I will look into your Conflicts suggestion. However, just to be clear, I am copying to a folder not to the desktop. In the process I am just going to the desktop to open ProcessExplorer in my case to determine what is locking the file, but that is when I discover that I cannot get back to the Copy Dialog any more.
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 4:28 PM