Forefront Endpoint Protection 2010 - What exactly is it? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've just noticed that during our Small Business Server 2008's regular update via WUS it has downloaded some updates for "Forefront Endpoint Protection 2010".

• Definition Update for Microsoft Forefront Endpoint Protection 2010 - KB977939 (Definition 1.91.1926.0)

I've done some digging and found that Forefront Endpoint Protection 2010 is a relatively new product.

I have three questions I hope someone can help me with:-

1) Will Forefront Endpoint Protection 2010 work with Small Business Server 2008?

2) Is the main purpose of Forefront Endpoint Protection 2010 to provide anti virus protection to my client PC's AND my Small Business Server 2008 or just my client PC's? (end points?).

3) We currently use "Forefront Security for Exchange Server" on our SBS2008 to protect our emails against viruses.  This works well for us and often detects and removes harmful viruses and trojans from emails. Can I still use Forefront Endpoint Protection 2010 if I use "Forefront Security for Exchange Server"?  Will they work together or will I get conflicts or configuration issues?

I know that our Forefront Security for Exchange Server only provides virus protection for our emails within Exchange Server 2007 (like its name suggests).  It does not protect the server operating system or any data files that are stored on the server.  If Forefront Endpoint Protection 2010 only protects client PC's what is the best way of protecting the actual files on my SBS2008?

More info and a beta download of Forefront Endpoint Protection 2010 is available from www.microsoft.com/forefront/clientsecurity/en/us/next-generation.aspx but I just want to know if it is the right thing for me.

Really appreciate any help and advice you can give.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 9:37 AM

Answers

• Hi,

1# AFAIK actually the FEP client is not supported on SBS because I don't see it in the OS client requirements here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff823900.aspx

2# FEP protects clients and servers.

3# Yes you can use FEP with FSES. Note to exclude Exchange databases from FEP scan because it is the role of FSES

Also note that FEP is still beta version, so it is possible to view several changes in the RC or RTM versions.

• Proposed as answer by YehudaK Tuesday, October 19, 2010 6:36 PM
    • Marked as answer by Miles Zhang Wednesday, October 20, 2010 7:18 AM
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 10:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

1# AFAIK actually the FEP client is not supported on SBS because I don't see it in the OS client requirements here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff823900.aspx

2# FEP protects clients and servers.

3# Yes you can use FEP with FSES. Note to exclude Exchange databases from FEP scan because it is the role of FSES

Also note that FEP is still beta version, so it is possible to view several changes in the RC or RTM versions.

• Marked as answer by Miles Zhang Wednesday, October 20, 2010 7:18 AM
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 10:19 AM
  • Hi,

I believe it does work on SBS 2008.

We currently have Client Security installed on our SBS2008, and it also does not explicitly list SBS, but a Microsoft employee on the Forefront team told me that for Forefront, SBS is the same as 2008 x64 Standard.

Important point, I would not recommend installing 2010 on your production environment. I did have some trouble with it installing cleanly.
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 6:30 PM
  • We currently have Client Security installed on our SBS2008, and it also does not explicitly list SBS, but a Microsoft employee on the Forefront team told me that for Forefront, SBS is the same as 2008 x64 Standard.

Not supported doesn't mean cannot be installed but when you have an issue you will not be able to find a solution in some cases related to SBS.

And in addition, if it is the same as 2008, so why it's not in the list of requirements !!!! I believe you and your MS friend but what are we doing with links and docs :)

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 7:40 PM
  • I have a windows 2008 r2 server - production.  Is it OK to install FEP RC1 on it?  I guess what I'm asking is, when RTM comes out will there be an upgrade path, or at least a reasonably clean way to remove this one and go with the RTM version?

Thanks,

Peter

Friday, December 3, 2010 12:30 AM
  • Hi,

Yes you can install FEP on Windows 2008 R2. And when RTM comes, as far as I know there will be no upgrade path, you will need to remove the RC and install the RTM [server(s) and clients]

Bechir Gharbi | http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/bgharbi/
    Friday, December 3, 2010 6:58 AM