Which Update is 1709 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

If I were to look for the Fall Creators Update (1709) in my WSUS server, what would it be called? I searched for anything with the word "feature" in it and I got nothing.  I searched for 1709, and I have so many of them. 

Thursday, February 1, 2018 8:14 PM

All replies

• Hi jsetaro,

It's KB3012973 it's classified as 'upgrade', when you selected the classifications to sync did you put the tick on 'upgrades'?

Regards

Simon

If you find that my post has answered your question, please mark it as the answer. If you find my post to be helpful in anyway, please click vote as helpful. Regards Simon

• Proposed as answer by Simon.Rech Friday, February 2, 2018 6:31 AM
    Thursday, February 1, 2018 10:29 PM
  • Hello,

You can search Feature update under WSUS console to find Windows 1709:

If there is no updates for Windows 10 1709, you may check whether Upgrades is checked under Classifications. 

Regards,

Yan 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 2, 2018 3:14 AM
  • You can get all Windows 10 Update KB numbers here

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4018124/windows-10-update-history?ocid=client_wu

Friday, February 2, 2018 6:34 AM
  • Hello,

I checked my WSUS server, and I did not fin KB3012973 listed.  I also searched for Feature Update, and I did not see the Feature Update for 1709.  I also do not download any Upgrade classifications.  So how is it that my Windows 10 clients are listed in WSUS, and they are getting this update?

Friday, February 2, 2018 8:00 PM
  • Hello,

Do you mean you do not have Windows 1709 feature update, but your Windows 10 got this update?

They seems like got Windows 1709 update from Microsoft Update not WSUS. 

This is due to "Dual scan", in this scenario, the WU client automatically scans against both WSUS and WU.

Dual Scan is automatically enabled when a combination of Windows Update group policies [or their MDM equivalents, or the underlying registry keys corresponding to either set of policies] is configured:

Specify intranet Microsoft update service location (i.e., WSUS)
    Either of the policies belonging to Windows Update for Business
    Select when Feature Updates are received
    Select when Quality Updates are received

Please refer to the article below for more details:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/wsus/2017/05/05/demystifying-dual-scan/

If you want to control this by your WSUS, please disable dual scan, and then check Upgrade classification under Option in your WSUS server, and approve Windows 10 1709 feature update to your clients. 

Regards,

Yan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Yan Li_ Monday, February 5, 2018 6:15 AM
    Monday, February 5, 2018 6:13 AM
  • Hello,

I was thinking it was dual scan, and I want to disable it.  But I read that if it's disabled, then the Microsoft Store apps would not be updated.  None of my clients use any of the store apps to my knowledge.  But I'm not comfortable with disabling those updates.  Especially since Windows 10 is still so new.

Monday, February 5, 2018 2:48 PM
  • Hello,

Please try steps below:

1. Set all WU for Business policies to Not Configured.  This ensures that you are not in Dual Scan mode. 
    2. Verify that you have installed the November 2016 Cumulative Update for 1607, or any Cumulative Update more recent. 
    3. Enable the group policy System/Internet Communication Management/Internet Communication settings/Turn off access to all Windows Update features
    4. In an elevated command prompt, run “gpupdate /force”, followed by “UsoClient.exe startscan”
    5. Open the Windows Update UI (wait for the scan to complete), and observe:

Windows Update UI with no Check online link

These steps allow you to perform scans against WSUS/Configuration Manager and access the Microsoft Store, and will prevent feature updates from being installed unexpectedly on machines with this configuration. 

• Edited by Yan Li_ Wednesday, February 7, 2018 9:27 AM
    Wednesday, February 7, 2018 9:26 AM
  • Hello,

I just read this article, and it states that even though I set my WSUS server to get updates for Windows to deploy to my Windows 10 clients, Dual Scan ignores it, and retrieves Windows updates from WU.  So if that's the case, does that mean if I do not want to deploy any upgrades, or any other classifications I do not want, it will install them anyway?

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/wsus/2017/05/05/demystifying-dual-scan/

Friday, February 9, 2018 5:57 PM
  • Hi jsetaro,

You must create a new GPO and enable the setting highlighted if you want to make sure your PCs are getting the upgrades from WSUS https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/wsus/2017/08/04/improving-dual-scan-on-1607/

Regards

Simon

If you find that my post has answered your question, please mark it as the answer. If you find my post to be helpful in anyway, please click vote as helpful. Regards Simon Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, February 9, 2018 6:44 PM
  • Hello,

This policy looks promising, but I am currently not deferring updates.  The other article I suggested seems to do the trick.  Do I need to be deferring updates in order to implement this policy?

Friday, February 9, 2018 7:34 PM