none
Filter contents cleared while in Project Server 2010 BCM mode RRS feed

• Question

• We are currently in the middle of a transition from Project Server 2007 to 2010.  The Server is currently in backward compatibility mode while we wait for all the users to get upgraded to 2010 clients.  We have a user with 74 filters and the contents of those filters has been cleared.  This appears to be the only file affected, so far.  Older versions of the file seem to be having the same problem.  We see the same thing for this file whether we open it in 2007 or 2010 clients.

Suggestions?

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 1:19 PM

All replies

• What is the issue?  Can you state the problem? This seems more like a comment than a questions.

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Saturday, January 4, 2014 6:26 PM
  • Hi Chris,

Have you installed the last version of Project Server 2010 (SP, CU)?

Since it's happening with only one file, this file might be corrupted.. Do you have any way to restore an older version of this file in order to retrieve the filters? Then you could use the organizer to save all customisations in a transitory file then in the migrated file.

By the way, 74 custom filters in a project seems to be a lot! Maybe this is a good occasion to review the pertinence of those filters.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Saturday, January 4, 2014 7:18 PM
  • Maybe the filters were installed in his Global.mpt file - and not saved to the project file itself?  Is he using the same machine and client to access it?

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

Sunday, January 5, 2014 2:11 AM
  • What is weird with this file is that the filters appear in the filter list, but if you open any of the given filters, then the contents of the filter are cleared.  We had a very old version of the file with valid filters sitting on my desktop and attempts to migrate these filters using the organizer had failed.  I also attempted to migrate the filters using an intermediate file, this also failed.  We kept getting an error message that we were missing a logical operator; why would filters work in '07 but not '10?.  Of his 75 filters, they fall into two groups; one set begins with the letter "H" and another set begins with the letter "R".  I successfully migrated one of his filters from his old file to his production file using my Global.mpt as an intermediary!!! Emblazoned with this limited success, I then went and migrated all his "H" filters to my Global.mpt off of his old file and then put them into his production file on the Server.  That worked!  I then attempted the same thing for his "R" files, but it failed and got the missing operator error, again.  I can only concluded that one of the filters is corrupt in the "R" series, but I don't know which one.  If so much as one filter is bad, then none of the filters transfer.

Monday, January 6, 2014 6:32 PM
  • yes, we are on SP2
    Monday, January 6, 2014 6:35 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

Then eventhough it is a tedious job, you could transfer one by one all the filters using the global.mpt. In this way you'll point out the corrupted filter.

Hope this helps.

Monday, January 6, 2014 6:36 PM
  • at this point, the user rebuilt his filters.  We never determined which one was the bad one.
    Monday, January 6, 2014 8:04 PM
  • Ok, it seems to be a corrupted filters. Sometime those kinds of corruption sare not easy to solve and might require some manual job, as you did!

Regards.

Monday, January 6, 2014 8:15 PM
  • I have one more User that is now starting to complain of this phenomenom.  We don't know what is causing the problem.
    Friday, January 17, 2014 2:18 PM