none
Host and Guest based backups for applications RRS feed

• Question

• Robert,

Could you clarify a related topic for me?  In the above scenario, if I were to back up SQL (e.g. MS CRM data) via the Guest, and the overall Hyper-V VM (e.g. our CRM server) via the host, are the .MDF and .LDF files that are backed up at the guest level also backed up at the host level?

Let me lay out an example scenario:

DPM Protection Group: SQL Server
    Computer:  CRM1.hq.acme.com
    Total size of all member replicas:  26 GB

DPM Protection Group: Hyper-V Virtual Machines
    Computer:  VMHOST1.hq.acme.com
    Member: \Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\CRM1
    Replica size: 73 GB

In the scenario above, the SQL backup is 26 GB, and the total size of the VHD files for the VM on the host is 73 GB (including OS, apps, files, SQL data, etc).  It looks like the Hyper-V backup includes the 26 GB of SQL data that I'm already backing up elsewhere, since the files on the host are essentially the same size as the replica.  This seems wasteful, especially given the number of VMs I'll be backing up that will also be backed up at the guest level because they're SQL, SharePoint, etc.

Is there a way to prevent this?  Any "best practices" guidelines to which you could direct me?  I've got a big System Center book with a few DPM 2010 chapters, but it's not comprehensive enough.  Thanks.

Regards,

Gregg 

Friday, September 24, 2010 3:54 PM

Answers

All replies